Poyet not off to Newcastle

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Looks pretty safe for Pardew then.

What worries me is their CEO's ambitions: Lambias talks about wanting to get a "top 10" position in the PL. That has to be a realistic ambition for a club like Newcastle, but imagine being a fan. So: no cup ambitions (FA or Carling), no chance of Europe, no other silverware, no real chance of relegation (assuming they actually do get top 10). Wouldn't that just be boring as ****? The best you could hope for is that one season you might make 6th. Whoopy Doo.

Is promotion to the PL all it's cracked up to be? Sure we'd get to see "big" teams, but hasn't this past season been better for BHA fans than next season looks like being for Toon fans? Just asking...

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Looks pretty safe for Pardew then.

What worries me is their CEO's ambitions: Lambias talks about wanting to get a "top 10" position in the PL. That has to be a realistic ambition for a club like Newcastle, but imagine being a fan. So: no cup ambitions (FA or Carling), no chance of Europe, no other silverware, no real chance of relegation (assuming they actually do get top 10). Wouldn't that just be boring as ****? The best you could hope for is that one season you might make 6th. Whoopy Doo.

Is promotion to the PL all it's cracked up to be? Sure we'd get to see "big" teams, but hasn't this past season been better for BHA fans than next season looks like being for Toon fans? Just asking...

You have to agree with this.
I see the Albion as a similar size club to west brom, therefore, as you say, mid table mediocrely.
Could be pretty boring in the PL compared to the championship

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I've always felt that for all but the big city teams, stability in the Premiership should be used as a platform to attempt to win cup competitions. But it doesn't work out that way very often. You see a team like Stoke looking comfortable enough in the league, enjoying a rare season in the UEFA cup, and still not taking it seriously, or any other cup competition. I REALLY don't see the point in that.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've always felt that for all but the big city teams, stability in the Premiership should be used as a platform to attempt to win cup competitions. But it doesn't work out that way very often. You see a team like Stoke looking comfortable enough in the league, enjoying a rare season in the UEFA cup, and still not taking it seriously, or any other cup competition. I REALLY don't see the point in that.

Yes, I see what you mean. You'd have thought that if a club has no realistic chance of getting into Europe, such as Stoke, they may as well do just enough to comfortably stay up and really go for the league or FA cup. But, as you say, they don't. Perhaps it's just that they have no confidence that they will be able to stay up when the cup ties come around so are focussed on the PL? Perhaps an argument for starting the cup ties later in the season for clubs in the PL (arguably the Championship too) to give mid table clubs the time to get more confident about their ability to stay up and put out better teams for the cups? The top of the PL would remain the same and there would be more competition for the cups. Win win?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Am I alone in not giving a damn where Poyet goes next?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I never really understood why people were so sure Pardew was going to leave Newcastle - i know they've had a relatively bad season this year, but last year they played well beyond where they probably should have been. Ashley and Pardew seem a reasonably good fit to me. Another bad season and he could be out, but not now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here