Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you buy a Peugeot?

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
My girlfriend and I are just about to buy our first car. For the money we have available there seems to be a lot of Peugeots going. All seems well, until I started reading some reviews: the term "dodgy electronics" kept popping up.

So would you recommend the Peugeot range? All help is greatly received as I'm getting abit lost in it all now. I thought car shopping was supposed to be fun.....

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I've owned a 106 and currently drive a 206. No issues from me and would probably go back for another one next time I'm looking.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Never owned a French car. Not sure why I think just because I heard lots of bad things. I'm a SAAB fan though. Excellent second hand buy. Lots of car for little money. 93 or 95 if you want bigger (and the AERO trims are rapid!)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... For the money we have available there seems to be a lot of Peugeots going...

...because they have problems so owners want rid and others dont want them.

i'm prejudice against all things french, but their car in particular are a hallmark for shoddy and dodgy. people i've known have them constantly have little niggley problems: electrics, interior, bodywork easily failing or breaking.

get German or Japanese, get something slightly older/higher milage than planned and you'll get a better car for your money.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Never owned a Peugeot, have worked on lots. They're cheap for a reason, mainly because they're not made particularly well IMO. Newer ones appear better

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
we had Peugeot 307 for about 4 years.... sorry I would not personally go for Peugeot again because of ......dodgy electronics. They may have sorted out any probs now this was several years ago but obviously a pain if you are unlucky. I would generally recommend a focus and mechanics spoken to tend to agree for a car similar price & size.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My last 3 cars have been Peugeots and they've all been great, Ten years without an MOT failure. I don't think I'll buy anything else now.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Get a Toyota Yaris. I would personally avoid buying a French car.

This. I have a Toyota Yaris...an old one with 130k on the clock. Took it in for a full service the other day, it hasn't had a service of any description for over 5 years, and was told by the mechanic that if it was a French car, it would've been finished years ago. He rekons that if i keep it serviced now, ive got another 5 years in it at least !!!!!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I have bought many used cars and the ones that go wrong the most are the French ones, although mostly Renault in my experience. What's your budget?

Edit. Just seen, 2k

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
For £2000 you should be able to buy a reasonable hatch. Try to buy Jap or German, generally French vehicles aren't the best but if you do want one try and get a diesel.
A skoda fabia is worth a look, well built and you'll probably get an 04 plate for your money.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
Never owned a Peugeot, have worked on lots. They're cheap for a reason, mainly because they're not made particularly well IMO. Newer ones appear better

This. The build quality and general running of Peugeots are pants. Unless you buy a brand new one. The same goes for a vast majority of French cars over the last 20 years. However since 2012 the standard has improved lots and would recommend any small French car nower days.

redhill seagull 66

May 25, 2012
I would buy japenese..look at the 10 most reliable cars every year.usually about 7/8 are jap.honda,mazda,toyota,nissan.Having said that i hired a brand new clio last year to drive around france and that seemed ok.roomy,bit of grunt for a small engine and not too ugly like most european cars

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Hatchback yes
German yes
Under £2k yes
Not French yes

image.jpg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This. I have a Toyota Yaris...an old one with 130k on the clock. Took it in for a full service the other day, it hasn't had a service of any description for over 5 years, and was told by the mechanic that if it was a French car, it would've been finished years ago. He rekons that if i keep it serviced now, ive got another 5 years in it at least !!!!!

Curiously, though, the Yaris is made in France.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here