Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B&H Green party falling apart?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1044..._oust_Brighton_and_Hove_council_leader_fails/

A political coup to oust a council leader has failed after opposition parties refused to back plotters from the city's ruling party.

Rebel members of the Green administration on Brighton and Hove City Council today failed in a bid to replace Jason Kitcat with Phelim MacCafferty.

After failing to secure enough support within in their own group of councillors, rebel approaches to Labour and Conservative councillors were then knocked back.

Opposition councillors are now calling for all Green councillors to resign adding the group was "irrevocably split".

Labour and Co-operative Group Leader Cllr Warren Morgan confirmed he was approached by a rebel group of Green councillors asking for support in removing Cllr Jason Kitcat as council leader at this afternoon's Annual Council Meeting.

Almost half of Green councillors have asked Labour to choose Green councillor Phelim McCafferty to replace Councillor Kitcat at today’s Annual Council meeting.

Councillor Morgan has refused to involve the Labour group in Green infighting.

Coun Morgan said: “The Green Party in Brighton and Hove is now irrevocably split.

"To ask an opposition group to help oust their party leader and choose a new one is utterly desperate and absurd.

"Residents need a council leadership which can sort out the mess in the town hall and clear up the mess on our streets.

"If they cannot work together, I call on members of the Green group to resign their seats on the council, and give residents the chance to elect Labour councillors who will put the interests of residents and the city before petty party political infighting.”

It is believed there are ten members of the rebel Green group.

This means there are 12 which continue to support Coun Kitcat at the head of his party.

Prominent members include former Sussex Police Authority member Ben Duncan, former deputy council leader Phelim MacCafferty and former Caroline Lucas aide Alex Phillips.

The Argus understands some Conservative councillors were also approached but this was also rejected.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Amateurs
Or is this another anti- green, Argus story?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Amateurs
Or is this another anti- green, Argus story?

alex phillips.JPG

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It suits both the Labour and Conservative groups to let the Greens muddle through to the next council elections.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Is it just me or does Councillor Kitkat sound like a cluedo character?

And what sort of name is Phelim?

As soon as I saw that name, I thought of something I've been coughing up most of the Week.

Why do those with some of the most naff names in history become Brighton Councillors? The aforementioned Phelim. Jason Kitcat. Then there was ol Nimrod Ping some years ago.

You just know the Greens are going to have kids called Tarquin, Zynnaiah and Ocean.....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Greens have been awful for this city. Loving the infighting. Time for that moron Kitcat to go !

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Social media. When will people learn? Would she have written a formal letter requesting the same, or would she have paused for thought?

Very amateur.

If the Greens could get their act together I actually feel they could offer a credible alternative. My experience of Mr Kitkat is that he spends too much time building brand Kitkat on twitter rather than leading the council.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Best bit is that this Green Council is meant to be their national show-piece.

Quite please the nation is being shown exactly what a Green Council means.

Even the Tory Party didn't suggest taking £4,000 off a bin mans annual wage.

TB

Dandyman

In London village.
Best bit is that this Green Council is meant to be their national show-piece.

Quite please the nation is being shown exactly what a Green Council means.

Even the Tory Party didn't suggest taking £4,000 off a bin mans annual wage.

TB

The Con-Dems have taken 13% off most local authority workers wages.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exactly why I'm against the Greens despite being a left leaning liberal. They are a complete shambles and couldn't run an egg and spoon race let alone a city. Shit and rubbish all over the place with Lucas supporting a strike against Kitcat. And guess what, they're solving it not by getting together and fixing the situation but by descending in to embarrassing in fighting. Damaging to the cause of ecology and likely to get the Tories in next time. What a joke.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
The Con-Dems have taken 13% off most local authority workers wages.
The country has a national debt of just a few quid shy of £1.2 trillion.

That's around £19,000 for every man woman and child in the UK.

Every household in the UK will pay at least £1,914 on interest this year, and next year, and many years after.

You can blame the Con-Dems for a lot, but you can't blame them for trying to reduce those debts.

As for the Greens, they are spending £1,500,000 on a 20mph Green City limit, and wasting more millions on bus and cycle lanes.

No wonder that one half of their councillors don't want anything to do with the other half.

TB

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here