Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Style of Football should Gus leave

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It will be very interesting to know what people's views are concerning the style of football we currently play and what our prospective new manager, should the Gussmeister go, be expected to play.

There have been some very vocal people on here and at the ground who were not that enammered, although it has taken us to the dizzy heights, of our style of football.

What sort of football do you want to see from us in the future?

If we employed a foreign manager, then it can be assumed that he will carry on the pass it about style, especially as we have those sort of players, BUT if we go for a home grown manager like Pulis, would we be happy if we had a Carlton Cole type player up front and revert to the hump it upfield instead of our play through midfield type stuff?

Would some of our players like Lopez, Ulloa, Orlandi, Bridcutt want to be part of that sort of team?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Someone quoted Barber as saying we would be looking to take on someone who would continue the passing style of Gus's side.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Someone quoted Barber as saying we would be looking to take on someone who would continue the passing style of Gus's side.

That could narrow down the field somewhat

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I hope that a new manager would look to build on what Gus has started. Maybe not identical style and tactics, but certainly an evolution of what we have.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I don't think I have seen many sides in this league who just hump it forward. Some are more direct than others or look
to get the ball forward more quickly.

Our style of play is to slow the game down and dictate the tempo and not to play 50/50 balls which means we can sometimes overplay.

I would like to see us have the ability to mix it up more and give our players more of a licence to express themselves.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Quicker and more incisive, if that means more direct then fine.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
More of the same but maybe a little bit quicker.

this is spades. people compared us to Swansea and others, but we simply dont play with intensity required. Gus ha assembled the personel, i'd hope the next manager will take it on a level.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The same style (passing and creating space) and formation (4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-3) just a little quicker. Patience is great and passing at the back to create space is nice but sometimes we looked hesitant we when could have destroyed a team with a quick break. Not sure if that was the players or came from Gus.
Very much anti 4-4-2 because I see it is as too rigid (leaves gaps all over the pitch and between space between the lines) and would like to think we have moved on from that style. Getting in a man (Pullis) who likes to smack it up to the big man quite frankly scares me and with the way our youth and DS teams play would set us back a hell of a lot.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
When The Albion started games under Poyet where we were clearly looking for a win there wasn't a side in the division who could stop us most times. I'd like somebody to continue the passing style we've adopted, coupled with a bit more going forward as we pass the ball about. Whoever it is, they need to be able to see when things aren't working and make changes quickly. Poyet was good in many ways but, in my opinion, let his "we are Brighton-we only play one way" mentality cost us games. We also need a coach/manager who has the ability to win games if we go a goal down.

Who that elusive man is I don't know but whoever you are-no more tippy tappy for the sake of it, going nowhere type football. No, I don't want a Pullis type manager, this club has never had a hoof and hope mentality apart from the Gory Days.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Same as now only quicker, better and more direct when we need to be.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'd like to see us just be an adaptable team.

If our opposition are susceptible to the style we played this season use t for that game.

If our opposition are susceptible to more long balls over the top then employ that method for that game.

So long as we aren't predictable.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
More of the same but maybe a little bit quicker.

yep - the whole club is now set up to play a passing style and i cant see that changing anytime soon or while TB is in charge of the club. In an interview at the start of the season he was asked about what he would do if Gus left - he said find a manager that would continue in the style of football that Poyet had developed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Everyone saying "the same, but quicker" is basically saying "the same, but with better players".

The point I do agree with is the main thing we need to be - which we weren't enough with poyet - is more ADAPTABLE.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
I'd like us to average around 4 goals a game and not conceeding any.

If we do that I think we would have a real chance of going up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here