Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus 'could be a hit at Stoke' [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Gus 'could be a hit at Stoke'[/h]9:00am Thursday 23rd May 2013 in Albion By Brian Owen
2129963.jpg
Gus Poyet
Stoke City have been told Gus Poyet could be the man to lead a footballing revolution if they pursue him for their vacant manager’s job.
The Albion boss – currently under suspension by the Seagulls – is being linked with a move to the Potters.
There was last night no confirmation as to whether Stoke had made an enquiry but he is near the top of their wish list with Roberto Martinez and Roberto di Matteo.
Wigan boss Martinez will today make a statement about his future.
Former Albion defender Russell Bromage, who watches the Seagulls regularly in his role with the media, reckons Stoke fans would enjoy Poyet’s brand of football if he were to swap the South Coast for the Potteries.
Bromage was brought up in the Blurton area of Stoke-on-Trent, which is now next to the Britannia Stadium, and said: “Stokies are desperate to get back to the skilful teams they used to have.
“Last time they were in that standard of football was with Tony Waddington as manager.
“They had Alan Hudson, Jimmy Greenhoff, loads of good footballers. I used to go over and watch them at their old ground.
“Gus has stated he would like to have a crack at the Premier League.
“Stoke have got a lovely stadium, they have got a state of the art training ground, they have got the fans, they sell out every week.
“I think the big thing is how he thinks he would have to rebuild his squad to get what he wants out of it. I would assume that could be the stumbling block.”
Albion fans are still awaiting developments after the club launched an inquiry into Poyet, Mauricio Taricco and Charlie Oatway.
Poyet has been linked with Everton in some quarters and could be a target for Wigan if Martinez leaves. The Uruguayan is under contract at The Amex until 2016.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here