Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus's most damning statistic

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
I don't know why, but I made myself sit through the highlights of last week's game on Monday night.

After the first goal was scored, the Sky commentators made a big issue of the fact that Brighton had not overturned a deficit since the Doncaster game.

I am not a 'statto', so I haven't verified this (I stand to be corrected), but if true it's quite a problem for Gus as the one thing a manager can do once the game is underway, to alter the course of it, is change the direction of it with tactics or personnel.

I have always been a big fan of his style of play, but this stat allied to Vicente's assertions of sterile training in the Argus would seem to point to tactical intransigence on Gus's behalf and this could undermine him in the future.

I have also had a strong tip-off: Everton.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After the first goal was scored, the Sky commentators made a big issue of the fact that Brighton had not overturned a deficit since the Doncaster game.
We've come from behind to draw games. And we often score first, so it's not applicable there. Before Ulloa, we were also less suited to breaking down a team that sits behind the ball. The main statistic of note, is that we finished 4th.

I don't know why, but I made myself sit through the highlights of last week's game on Monday night.

I am not a 'statto', so I haven't verified this (I stand to be corrected), but if true it's quite a problem for Gus as the one thing a manager can do once the game is underway, to alter the course of it, is change the direction of it with tactics or personnel.

I have always been a big fan of his style of play, but this stat allied to Vicente's assertions of sterile training in the Argus would seem to point to tactical intransigence on Gus's behalf and this could undermine him in the future.

I too have had a tip off: Everton. Due to litigation concerns, and I can only speculate on a conversation I have had with an Everton fan who can confirm or not that Gus was there a couple of weeks back, or not. I take this with a pinch of salt (not sauce) and can neither confirm any substantiation behind this and I am only stating to the best of my knowledge that I have only passed on information relating to a very casual conversation with a trusted or untrusted source. Thank you.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Yup. The team almost broke it away at Wolves and away at Brum though. Had the team not conceded in stoppage time in both of those fixtures BHA would be a Premier League team right now.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with the OP. Gus needed a plan B and it appeared that he seldom, if ever had one.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It was also the first time I'd taken my flag back to the AMEX since the Doncaster game. That didn't break the jinx :down:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Well the sky commentators are wrong, Chelsea scored first and we beat them 3-1

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Well the sky commentators are wrong, Chelsea scored first and we beat them 3-1

Official stats don't apply to friendlies or testimonials.
The failure to come from behind to win in 91 league games is entirely down to the manager and his tactics. Its not bad luck or pure coincidence, there is a reason for it. He has one way of playing and doesn't want to change. He is narrow minded and inflexible. Our ' possession football ' suits us when we are ahead. We can protect what we have. The other team has to do the worrying. The manager's cautious nature fits comfortably with this, he likes it and his confidence transmits to the players.
When a team goes behind it sometimes calls for throwing caution to the wind to get back into the game. Gus won't do this. It disrupts the game-plan. He believes implicitly in our style of play and firmly believes that all will come good if we just keep doing all the right things he has told the players to do.
Well football doesn't always work like that. Sometimes you have to screw up the game-plan and invent something different. Its called thinking on your feet. Not one of Gus' strengths and clearly his assistant ( who spends ages scribbling notes during games...what the hell is he doing?....writing love notes to Gus! ) hasn't got any original thoughts in his locker either.
If Gus stayed for all of next season we still wouldn't win a game from behind. He would still play the same way and it would still yield the same results.
He has a blueprint and intends sticking to it. It is great at times but hugely frustrating at other times. The better the manager and the better the players he encounters along the way, the more he will flounder.
Wasn't it rotten of Holloway to bring on Bolassie and free up Zaha to roam all over the place. Gus hadn't allowed for that!
Some BHA fans refer to the glorious wins over Barnsley, Sheff Wed, Huddersfield and Blackpool and say its some of the best football seen for 30 years. Some of it was very good but you have to remember the games where you left the ground pulling your hair out in frustration. The teams who worked us out and we couldn't break them down. The times you wanted Gus to make changes and he wouldn't. He and Tanno expecting their game-plan to always deliver. The players that haven't ' trained on ' under Gus, notably the enigmatic Will Buckley, occasional match-winner, regular no.1 Mr Frustration. Playing exactly the same way now as when he joined.
It is a damning statistic and outsiders are always flabbergasted when I mention it. It reflects rather unfairly on the players. It implies that they lack character. That their heads drop when they fall behind and they can't raise their game. It implies that they are ' flat-track ' bullies. Great when the going is good ( i.e ahead ) not so good when they trail.
No, its not the players. Its the manager and his system. Simple as that.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Official stats don't apply to friendlies or testimonials.
The failure to come from behind to win in 91 league games is entirely down to the manager and his tactics. Its not bad luck or pure coincidence, there is a reason for it. He has one way of playing and doesn't want to change. He is narrow minded and inflexible. Our ' possession football ' suits us when we are ahead. We can protect what we have. The other team has to do the worrying. The manager's cautious nature fits comfortably with this, he likes it and his confidence transmits to the players.
When a team goes behind it sometimes calls for throwing caution to the wind to get back into the game. Gus won't do this. It disrupts the game-plan. He believes implicitly in our style of play and firmly believes that all will come good if we just keep doing all the right things he has told the players to do.
Well football doesn't always work like that. Sometimes you have to screw up the game-plan and invent something different. Its called thinking on your feet. Not one of Gus' strengths and clearly his assistant ( who spends ages scribbling notes during games...what the hell is he doing?....writing love notes to Gus! ) hasn't got any original thoughts in his locker either.
If Gus stayed for all of next season we still wouldn't win a game from behind. He would still play the same way and it would still yield the same results.
He has a blueprint and intends sticking to it. It is great at times but hugely frustrating at other times. The better the manager and the better the players he encounters along the way, the more he will flounder.
Wasn't it rotten of Holloway to bring on Bolassie and free up Zaha to roam all over the place. Gus hadn't allowed for that!
Some BHA fans refer to the glorious wins over Barnsley, Sheff Wed, Huddersfield and Blackpool and say its some of the best football seen for 30 years. Some of it was very good but you have to remember the games where you left the ground pulling your hair out in frustration. The teams who worked us out and we couldn't break them down. The times you wanted Gus to make changes and he wouldn't. He and Tanno expecting their game-plan to always deliver. The players that haven't ' trained on ' under Gus, notably the enigmatic Will Buckley, occasional match-winner, regular no.1 Mr Frustration. Playing exactly the same way now as when he joined.
It is a damning statistic and outsiders are always flabbergasted when I mention it. It reflects rather unfairly on the players. It implies that they lack character. That their heads drop when they fall behind and they can't raise their game. It implies that they are ' flat-track ' bullies. Great when the going is good ( i.e ahead ) not so good when they trail.
No, its not the players. Its the manager and his system. Simple as that.

Spot on. Which is why, despite a successful season overall, people have questioned his approach throughout the year. Many teams simply work us out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spot on. Which is why, despite a successful season overall, people have questioned his approach throughout the year. Many teams simply work us out.

But only 3 of them did better than us in the final table; Cardiff, Hull & Watford. Strangely, we managed to take points off them by beating them too.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
But only 3 of them did better than us in the final table; Cardiff, Hull & Watford. Strangely, we managed to take points off them by beating them too.

No one is saying Gus's tactics are bad it's the fact we don't have a backup if things go wrong.. Very rarely have we gone behind and thrown on attacking players to change the game and when we do its too late.. I love the football we play but sometimes it seems Gus thinks playing football "the right way" is more important than getting the win.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No one is saying Gus's tactics are bad it's the fact we don't have a backup if things go wrong.. Very rarely have we gone behind and thrown on attacking players to change the game and when we do its too late.. I love the football we play but sometimes it seems Gus thinks playing football "the right way" is more important than getting the win.

We lost 9 games all season. I hope we do as well next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here