Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lord Tebbit's views on gay marriage

Have searched, don't think this is fixtures. Brilliant interview with Lord Tebbit in the Big Issue.

http://www.bigissue.com/mix/news/2390/lord-tebbit-gay-marriage-comments-go-viral

The highlights...

When we have a queen who is a lesbian and she marries another lady and then decides she would like to have a child and someone donates sperm and she gives birth to a child, is that child heir to the throne?

It's like one of my colleagues said: we've got to make these same sex marriages available to all. It would lift my worries about inheritance tax because maybe I'd be allowed to marry my son. Why not? Why shouldn't a mother marry her daughter? Why shouldn't two elderly sisters living together marry each other?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Danny Wallace's tweet was funny - "Norman Tebbit's son won't be able to make jokes about his mother-in-law because *no one* talks about his gran that way.”

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Good to see he's still in touch with what real people think.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hmmm .... so he's suggesting allowing gay marriage automatically allows incest ? What an idiot - typical dinosaur anti-gay marriage rhetoric !

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I think it'll be a while before we see a 'Lesbian Queen' as he is suggesting. The first woman in line to the throne is Princess Beatrice who is 5th in line. If William and Kate's child is a daughter, they would be third in line to the throne. But seeing as how the Queen is 87 and showing no immediate signs of ending her reign, I would say Wills/Kate's child will be in middle age before they become monarch, and that's before even giving consideration their sexual orientation.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it'll be a while before we see a 'Lesbian Queen' as he is suggesting. The first woman in line to the throne is Princess Beatrice who is 5th in line. If William and Kate's child is a daughter, they would be third in line to the throne. But seeing as how the Queen is 87 and showing no immediate signs of ending her reign, I would say Wills/Kate's child will be in middle age before they become monarch, and that's before even giving consideration their sexual orientation.

I'm definitely more concerned about Norman's son than the royal lineage!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Keep it up Norm. Your party is pretty much unelectable as it is, a few more grandees with statements like this will finish the nasty party off for good.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...When we have a queen who is a lesbian and she marries another lady and then decides she would like to have a child and someone donates sperm and she gives birth to a child, is that child heir to the throne?

i dont even understand the point made in this example. the answer is "yes". its the same scenario as if the Queen had it away with a butler and the issue from that encounter was first born, they'd be heir. basically there are no good reasons to argue against gay marriage, so those opposed find themselves making bizarre mis-directed claims. of course, if the previous government hadnt bottled it when doing the original legislation on "civil partnerships", we would have this mess.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I do not support Gay Marriage,but like many in the country are pleased that Civil Partnerships were introduced by the previous Government.
I am in no way religious,in fact I would describe myself as atheist,but just happen to believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman.
I know this has been debated to death on NSC and agreement will never be reached between us all,so just call me old fashioned.
By the way,I also think Lord Tebbit is an old dinosaur!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i dont even understand the point made in this example. the answer is "yes". its the same scenario as if the Queen had it away with a butler and the issue from that encounter was first born, they'd be heir.

He/she wouldn't though as only legitimate issue can accede to the throne. That's what caused Henry VIII such grief: he wanted a legitimate son - even though he already had one, Henry, born to his mistress Elizabeth Blount. And Victoria came to the throne even though William IV had several children. But Tebbit's intervention ignores the fact that incest has been illegal for centuries and nothing in this legislation will change that.

Totally agree that this should have been dealt with by the Labour government

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I am in no way religious,in fact I would describe myself as atheist,but just happen to believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

As far as I can see the only argument against gay marriage is religious beliefs so I'm intrigued as to why someone who isn't religious can possibly believe marriage is only for a man and a woman - that's a religious belief ?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hi Westdene,without wishing to get into prolonged discussions,I just believe that traditional marriage will become even more diluted than it is now.It is almost seen as irrelevant to some people,but I see it as the bedrock of society,the family and children.
I also believe that marriage should ideally happen before having children....not the other way round.
I am all for people living together before committing to each other,but just wait until you can before having the kids.
A bit off subject I know!

Hi Westdene,without wishing to get into prolonged discussions,I just believe that traditional marriage will become even more diluted than it is now.It is almost seen as irrelevant to some people,but I see it as the bedrock of society,the family and children.
I also believe that marriage should ideally happen before having children....not the other way round.
I am all for people living together before committing to each other,but just wait until you can before having the kids.
A bit off subject I know!

You sound very religious for some who is an atheist. As an atheist myself, surely the whole point is to live and let live?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

But gay people are part of society so why shouldn't they be part of that bedrock you so crave ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here