Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer proud to get Scots call [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Greer proud to get Scots call[/h]9:00am Wednesday 22nd May 2013 in Albion By Brian Owen
2428711.jpg
Gordon Greer is in the Scotland squad to face Croatia
Gordon Greer*savoured a first senior Scotland call-up – and admitted he thought international football had passed him by.
The 32-year-old defender joins Albion colleague Liam Bridcutt in the squad to face Croatia in a World Cup qualifier in Zagreb on Friday, June 7.
Greer was outstanding at the back for the Seagulls as they secured fourth place in the Championship.
The Glaswegian said: “It’s a very proud moment. I was delighted to see Liam and Craig (Mackail-Smith) play for Scotland but it’s always been an ambition for me to play for Scotland and I’ll hopefully get that opportunity.
“I did think my time had passed. Having not been selected over the past few years I thought they would go for a lot of younger players but the fact that the club has done so well I knew I’d have a chance.
“I’m fit and you never know what can happen. It’s up to me to go and show what I can do and see where it takes me.”
Fellow defender Adam El-Abd (Egypt), goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak (Poland) and defensive midfielder Bridcutt have all played international football in recent months.
Greer, who has played for Scotland B and Futures, added: “To finish with the best defence in the league for all the defenders was a proud thing for us.
“We have been doing really well defensively and to have the best defence is great. If you’re doing well for your club you’ve got a chance with your national team.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here