[Official Site] Greer Proud of Scotland Call

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
greer-lead229-831064_478x359.jpg

PUBLISHED
08:42 22nd May 2013
by Will Jago
Gordon Greer will be realising one of his footballing ambitions when he joins up with the Scotland squad ahead of the World Cup Qualifier against Croatia next month.
The Albion skipper received his first senior call earlier today and could make his debut when the Tartan Army travel to Zagreb on Friday 7th June.
The 32-year-old told seagulls.co.uk, “It’s a very proud moment. I was delighted to see my team-mates Liam [Bridcutt] and Craig [Mackail-Smith] play for Scotland but it’s always been an ambition for me to play for my country and I’ll hopefully get that opportunity.
“I did think my time had passed. Having not been selected over the past few years I thought they would go for a lot of younger players, but the fact that this club has done so well I knew I’d have a chance.
“I’m fit and you never know what can happen. It’s up to me to go and show what I can do and see where it takes me.
“The new manager has only been in place for a few months and everybody is playing for a position, and I’m no different.
“It will be tough and they are out of the running for qualification so it’s a chance for us to go with no pressure and to see what happens. I think international football can only be good for your game.”
Greer, who has one Scotland B cap to his name, felt that Albion’s defensive record this season played a key role in his call-up as the Seagulls finished up with the meanest defence in the Championship.
“To finish with the best defence in the league was a proud thing for all of us defenders. We have been doing really well defensively and if you’re doing well for your club you’ve got a chance with your national team.
“I was concentrating fully on my club form. I’m really disappointed that we missed out on getting to the Premier League and it’s been a very tough week for us, but it’s a really good way for me to start the new week.
“I’m off on holiday today so I’ll enjoy that and make the most of a well-earned break before I join up with the squad.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here