Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

XBOX One

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Any thoughts so far?

Shame it's not a games machine anymore, the biggest announcement was the new Halo TV programme which interests me not a bit.

I suppose it's good that there will be 3 quite different machines on the market though.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think it looks phenomenal. What remains to be seen is if a) it competes as a media centre and b) if it can work well as bith a media centre whilst retaining the core gaming components.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
I like it a lot. It seems to be getting a lot of stick for not being a purely gaming system...but I thought the whole point was that it is evolving into more of a, like JBizzle says, media centre. I'm getting a bit annoyed by a lot of comments that just seem ignorant and almost self-entitled.

Looks really good.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't want it to control my tv, via hand gestures that it won't recognise while I'm on the sofa. I don't want it to take voice commands when I'm just talking to someone. I don't want kinnect. I don't want to follow my NBA fantasy team while watching a game, and Skyping friends to taunt them.

I would like it to play COD Ghosts though. There just seems to be an awful lot of rubbish bundled with it. I'll probably end up with one, but I'll be more tempted by a PS than ever before.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Sony looks to me to be going after the 'core gamer' audience harder with the PS4, whereas Microsoft seem to keen to chase a lot of people who perhaps don't have a gaming console yet or encourage people to unify their existing entertainment systems with an Xbox. Might work in the the states but NFL tie-ins and TV shows arnt going to do much for people elsewhere, especially if compatibility with the TV isn't too great.

Microsoft deliberately stated the focus of this session before E3 is not about games. E3 is the main gamers conference of the year and news if how XBOX One is the definitive games console will unfold from the game studios.

Second hand gaming details will also follow, but in this generation the notion of a disk will become less important. Microsoft is rightly needing to rethink the model here in a new mostly connected world. Probably best to judge it when details unfold rather than speculate.

When you think about it this could evolve to a fairer system where the games maker gets some cut if the second hand sale rather than todays stupid model that excludes the games creator from the transaction.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
It was getting a lot of stick on twitter yesterday. There were 3 main groups:

1) Those who have an Xbox 360 saying how amazing it looks.
2) Those who have a PS3 saying how bad it looks.
3) The neutrals saying that the PS4 is edging it at the moment.

Since the announcement, Sony's stock has risen by almost 10% and Microsofts has dropped by almost 1%.

I didn't watch the unveiling, but I got a list of facts through from a friend and it sounded pretty good. I've forgotten what the features of the PS4 are to be honest so I can't really compare them yet. Apparently Microsoft had to put back the reveal by a month after the saw the PS4 reveal. What does that say? They seem to have similar hardware in terms of RAM, processor, etc.

We'll see.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It was getting a lot of stick on twitter yesterday. There were 3 main groups:

1) Those who have an Xbox 360 saying how amazing it looks.
2) Those who have a PS3 saying how bad it looks.
3) The neutrals saying that the PS4 is edging it at the moment.

Since the announcement, Sony's stock has risen by almost 10% and Microsofts has dropped by almost 1%.

I didn't watch the unveiling, but I got a list of facts through from a friend and it sounded pretty good. I've forgotten what the features of the PS4 are to be honest so I can't really compare them yet. Apparently Microsoft had to put back the reveal by a month after the saw the PS4 reveal. What does that say? They seem to have similar hardware in terms of RAM, processor, etc.

We'll see.

As long as Sony don't go with some proprietary processor like with the ps3 it will all be down to the extras that they can provide, I think this whole TV gimmick on the Xbox is exactly that. I don't really know enough about either to comment properly but I think they will be almost exactly the same.

I don't really fancy talking to my tv though every time I change channel, I think it's the sort of thing that could actually drive you a bit mental.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have an Xbox360 but think the pendulum is going to swing back Sony's way with this next gen. PS2 was better than Xbox, Xbox360 beat PS3, now it's PS4's turn to rule I reckon.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Sony have seemingly learnt from the mistakes they made with the PS3 to make the PS4 really easy for developers of all sizes to work with.

I can see a lot of people (well, a lot of gamers anyway) being put off by the used game fee idea on the Xbox One. I rent games through Lovefilm so straight away PS4 has a big advantage

At least Microsoft haven't gone with the 'always on' functionality that was rumoured.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Blimey - I assume the used game fee would be about £5-£10 but it's worse than that:

However, Microsoft executive Phil Harrison, in an interview with Kotaku, has some potentially bad news. The aforementioned 'fee' to play games on a second account? Full MSRP. So if you want to play your game on another system, you'll be dishing out an extra $40, $50, $60 - unless you're logged into your main account. (Parental controls will allow you to grant access to other accounts on the same hardware.) Harrison did tell Kotaku that his company plans to allow gamers to 'trade' their used games online somehow - though declined to get into further details.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
At least Microsoft haven't gone with the 'always on' functionality that was rumoured.

Was in touch with their PR team for a while, this was never something that was on the table (we weren't allowed to share that at the time, hence why the rumour persisted). No information about the playing games on a second account, waiting for them to get in touch with me. From what I have been told though, it isn't as bad as many people are making out.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Was in touch with their PR team for a while, this was never something that was on the table (we weren't allowed to share that at the time, hence why the rumour persisted). No information about the playing games on a second account, waiting for them to get in touch with me. From what I have been told though, it isn't as bad as many people are making out.

Do you work in the industry?

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Do you work in the industry?

I am a freelance journalist. In the past I have had links with gaming companies who sent me review copies from time to time. I am not as active in it as I once was (onto better paid things), but I still talk with the people who gave me my 'big break' so to speak.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I am a journalist. In the past I have had links with gaming companies who sent me review copies from time to time. I am not as active in it as I once was (onto better paid things), but I still talk with the people who gave me my 'big break' so to speak.

Fair enough - I'd love to work on something in that field. I'm at a newspaper at the moment and jobhunting but openings at games/films/sport publications seem to be few and far between.

Where do you fall on round one of the PS4 v Xbox battle?

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Fair enough - I'd love to work on something in that field. I'm at a newspaper at the moment and jobhunting but openings at games/films/sport publications seem to be few and far between.

Where do you fall on round one of the PS4 v Xbox battle?

I'll send you a PM about how you can get started in games journalism (freelance) later on. Never managed to crack film and music, PR companies are VERY reluctant to talk to people who they don't know in that industry.

As for the PS4 v Xbox battle, well, I am going for Xbox. The main reason behind that is for the last 2 generations the Xbox has been my favourite platform. I bought my PS3 solely as a Blu-Ray player. The only time I ever felt inclined to play was when i reviewed games (never bought one game for it!). One of the main reasons behind this was the fact the operating system was far too clunky. It took a long time to navigate to where you wanted and the shop system was hell to browse. I am waiting to see the new version from Sony. Glad Xbox hasn't changed their system too much.

This next gaming generation is going to be a lot different to the previous ones. I reckon we are going to see exclusives go out of the window within a couple of years. It is far more profitable to develop games for a number of systems at a time. More people will now be 'one system'.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Blimey - I assume the used game fee would be about £5-£10 but it's worse than that:

However, Microsoft executive Phil Harrison, in an interview with Kotaku, has some potentially bad news. The aforementioned 'fee' to play games on a second account? Full MSRP. So if you want to play your game on another system, you'll be dishing out an extra $40, $50, $60 - unless you're logged into your main account. (Parental controls will allow you to grant access to other accounts on the same hardware.) Harrison did tell Kotaku that his company plans to allow gamers to 'trade' their used games online somehow - though declined to get into further details.

Wow. That's a deal breaker. Part of the joy of some gaming is that you can pop round a friends house and play and swap games, especially for younger people. I remember borrowing Pokemon games and mario games when I was very young which I would have never bought or played otherwise.

More greed from the billion dollar industry.

Wow. That's a deal breaker. Part of the joy of some gaming is that you can pop round a friends house and play and swap games, especially for younger people. I remember borrowing Pokemon games and mario games when I was very young which I would have never bought or played otherwise.

More greed from the billion dollar industry.

Surely they'll just swap Microsoft IDs instead? i.e. 'you play my games for a couple of weeks, I'll play yours'. Not that I disagree with your fundamental position - it's a pretty shitty thing to do.

I wonder if they are trying to set it up for the future; I wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of the shelf life of this console, 'hard copy' games are a relatively rare phenomenon. I can't remember the last PC game I bought a physical copy of (gifts aside), it must have been 3 or 4 years ago. If Microsoft can learn from Steam there's no reason that the same won't become true for a large number of console users (as high-speed internet becomes more prevalent).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here