Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This might interest fans of heavy metal

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Aborigine gangs who name themselves after the bands of that era: Megadeth, Slayer, Judas Priest....

Serious stuff, people dying....run to the hills. Part 1 of 2. The rest is on Youtube too:

[yt]IBygHZTZM9Q[/yt]

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It doesn't.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It doesn't.

If I were to use you or your equally dull alter ego as a barometer of what is good then I'd probably be as bitter as you. Does this constant sarcasm, pedantry and misanthropy actually make you feel better or do you do it to make others feel bad? Either way you come across as a miserable old bore. Anyway you're not interesting enough to be a fan of anything except tea towels. Now begone and go count your pot noodles in the cupboard or something.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I'm just watching a DVD of Rush in Rio which is just about to 'crackle into life...' I had 'To see Spirit of Radio live' in my 'things to do before I die' list, and when I went to see them a couple of years ago at the O2, they duly obliged by opening their set with it, giving me a bit of leeway in when to bale and make the tube before 12 000 decided to exit en masse :lolol:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I'm just watching a DVD of Rush in Rio which is just about to 'crackle into life...' I had 'To see Spirit of Radio live' in my 'things to do before I die' list, and when I went to see them a couple of years ago at the O2, they duly obliged by opening their set with it, giving me a bit of leeway in when to bale and make the tube before 12 000 decided to exit en masse :lolol:

Top live band! First saw them during the 2112 era.....and many times since. Shame on you for leaving early - seems a Brighton trait. ;-)

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Without a doubt, Permanent Waves would be an apt microcosm of all things Rush. I daresay others might disagree, or think other albums more sum them up though ???

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've never actively listened to Rush so where would you recommend a novice like me to start?

That's a difficult question as they've played many styles over the years. Zepplinesque, then longer prog rock stuff, more synth and poppy stage, then back to more straightforward rock. I'd personally recommend 2112, Moving Pictures, Power Windows and perhaps their new album Clockwork Angels. Those would cover must of their musical phases and they are all excellent albums!

Can't wait for Friday at the o2. I went to the last concert there but was up in the gods and the sound was appalling!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've never actively listened to Rush so where would you recommend a novice like me to start?

2112 is a cracking 70s prog concept album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

I can't help but be a little bit offended that you haven't asked ME about this.

Me being a MATE and stuff

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's a difficult question as they've played many styles over the years. Zepplinesque, then longer prog rock stuff, more synth and poppy stage, then back to more straightforward rock. I'd personally recommend 2112, Moving Pictures, Power Windows and perhaps their new album Clockwork Angels. Those would cover must of their musical phases and they are all excellent albums!

Can't wait for Friday at the o2. I went to the last concert there but was up in the gods and the sound was appalling!

I have just been reminded about the book Neil Peart wrote:

Family tragedy and recovery [edit]
Soon after the conclusion of Rush's Test for Echo Tour on July 4, 1997, Peart's first daughter and then-only child, 19-year-old Selena Taylor, was killed in a single-car accident on Highway 401 near the town of Brighton, Ontario, on August 10, 1997. His common-law wife of 22 years, Jacqueline Taylor, succumbed to cancer only 10 months later on June 20, 1998. Peart, however, maintains that her death was the result of a "broken heart" and called it "a slow suicide by apathy. She just didn't care."[18]
In his book Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road, Peart writes that he told his bandmates at Selena's funeral, "consider me retired."[18] Peart took a long sabbatical to mourn and reflect, and travelled extensively throughout North and Central America on his motorcycle, covering 88,000 km (55,000 mi). After his journey, Peart decided to return to the band. Peart wrote the book as a chronicle of his geographical and emotional journey.

Supposed to be a very good read.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have just been reminded about the book Neil Peart wrote:

Family tragedy and recovery [edit]
Soon after the conclusion of Rush's Test for Echo Tour on July 4, 1997, Peart's first daughter and then-only child, 19-year-old Selena Taylor, was killed in a single-car accident on Highway 401 near the town of Brighton, Ontario, on August 10, 1997. His common-law wife of 22 years, Jacqueline Taylor, succumbed to cancer only 10 months later on June 20, 1998. Peart, however, maintains that her death was the result of a "broken heart" and called it "a slow suicide by apathy. She just didn't care."[18]
In his book Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road, Peart writes that he told his bandmates at Selena's funeral, "consider me retired."[18] Peart took a long sabbatical to mourn and reflect, and travelled extensively throughout North and Central America on his motorcycle, covering 88,000 km (55,000 mi). After his journey, Peart decided to return to the band. Peart wrote the book as a chronicle of his geographical and emotional journey.

Supposed to be a very good read.

It is indeed. I have only read excerpts but I'm sure it's fascinating and insightful. Neil Peart is a very good lyricist. I find him a bit like Richard Dawkins in that he doth protest to much about religion though. Strangely his lyrics are peppered with quotes from the bible and not particularly in a negative way.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Without a doubt, Permanent Waves would be an apt microcosm of all things Rush. I daresay others might disagree, or think other albums more sum them up though ???

By Jove! I think you're absolutely spot on there. :thumbsup:

ps Give it a go Buzzer. It's not exactly Rammstien(!) - but that may (or may not) be to your advantage. :)

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed

I think that was the one I was at. I have to say, it was probably the most in-tents gig I've been to :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here