Dear Mechanical Sages of NSC

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Please can anyone give me an idea on how to remove a key like this:

Key2.jpg

From the ignition for a key made like this:

Key1.jpg

It is stuck, but only about 3/4 of an inch has gone in. It wiggles around a lot, but I cannot pull it out! And before you ask, yes, it was my wife that managed this.

Thanks in advance!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Forget that - the end of the key has now snapped off. I will let you know how much it costs to tow the 80kms or so to the dealer, if you're interested. Only had the thing 3 weeks (the car, not the wife). :down:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Forget that - the end of the key has now snapped off. I will let you know how much it costs to tow the 80kms or so to the dealer, if you're interested. Only had the thing 3 weeks (the car, not the wife). :down:

Umm, towing might be a problem if the steering lock is still active? Sorry....

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Take the cowling off around the steering lock, use a solid centre-punch and a hammer to start to unscrew the shear-bolts used to clamp the steering lock to the column, which should then be finger-tight and easy to unscrew the last bit. Get yourself a new steering lock from a main agent, and bolt her in :thumbsup:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
If you're near Southwick I'll do it for you

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Just don't talk to your wife until SHE sorts it out. Her mistake. She'll find a way somehow and it will be a valuable lesson. She won't learn otherwise.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
SORTED!! Screwdriver and a pair of tweezers have removed broken bit of key. Car starts!! Hoo bloody ray.

Thanks for your advice and I will think about what you said Kumquat - could be a valuable lesson there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here