Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New MLS Team - New York City FC

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Can't see any other reason for this than to get around FFP.

Manchester City line up targets, New York buy them, loan them to City whilst paying them extortionate wages. It's like Udinese-Watford but one step up.

I assume there are still no rules to limit overseas loans?

Shame. If any side in the big apple is truly deserving of an MLS franchise it's the Cosmos. Makes you wonder if that door is closed to them for now-as you say if 2 MLS franchises in the NY/NJ area is a lot, would 3 be unworkable?

Last edited:

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Shame. If any side in the big apple is truly deserving of an MLS franchise it's the Cosmos. Makes you wonder if that door is closed to them for now-as you say if 2 MLS franchises in the NY/NJ area is a lot, would 3 be unworkable?

there are 3 in the NHL (NY Islanders/Rangers, NJ Devils) but I think really they should be looking further afield than just the New York area

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Can't see any other reason for this than to get around FFP.

Manchester City line up targets, New York buy them, loan them to City whilst paying them extortionate wages. It's like Udinese-Watford but one step up.

I assume there are still no rules to limit overseas loans?

i think financial rules in the MLS is stricter than in the PL in regards to transfers/wages so might be quite hard to do that - im assuming they can funnel money between the clubs through 'commercial activity' instead though to get around FFP

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
New York City Blues, innit.

BTW, the Red Bulls play in New Jersey, not NY city.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
New York Red Bulls is based in Harrison New Jersey so it gets a large amount of its fan base from NJ as well as NYC. The intention is for NYCFC to be based in Queens which has a large population of Hispanics and Latinos who will always watch a decent game of soccer and it will also get support from the rest of NYC. So there is no real reason why NYC cannot support two teams.

Cosmos seem to have slipped off the radar at the minute – NYCFC have the current support of the mayor of NYC which is a big plus whereas Cosmos were struggling to find a ground and were going to ground share with a University I think. Because of the way the franchise system works Cosmos would only qualify for the league below MLS, the North American Soccer League.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Good luck to them, the Man City link could also gain a bit more interest in the MLS over here too.

Also, NYCFC havent stolen any spot from Miami/Florida - a team from there will probably grab the remaining spot......probably owned by Beckham too. Beckham couldnt own a team in New York either, was in his LA contract.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's an "expansion team?"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
MLS is being "expanded" and its an extra team - so its an "Expansion Team". They could have just said its a new team joining the MLS, but since when did the Americans do anything plain ?

I see. Thank you.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Good luck to them, the Man City link could also gain a bit more interest in the MLS over here too.

Also, NYCFC havent stolen any spot from Miami/Florida - a team from there will probably grab the remaining spot......probably owned by Beckham too. Beckham couldnt own a team in New York either, was in his LA contract.

but they have 20 teams, another 1 could screw things up numerically could it not? never said they 'stole' it from Miami/Florida, I just want to see a team there

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
but they have 20 teams, another 1 could screw things up numerically could it not? never said they 'stole' it from Miami/Florida, I just want to see a team there

Wasnt referring to you saying about Miami/Florida !! And im sure the Americans would sort it out somehow, they might even add another team on top of Miami/Florida.

Is there anywhere else that has a gap for an MLS team ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Not really deserving at all. The Cosmos owners are an absolute shambles for a variety of reasons. Basically the top brass at MLS gave up on them and in the end went out of their way to look for alternatives. The only good thing about the Cosmos is the world famous Cosmos brand - too bad MLS didn't buy it off the current owners before the owners tried to play hardball and join the NASL, which has no chance whatsoever of ever making any money in its current form.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't be surprised to see Florida get a team soon - probably the relocation of Chivas USA which has proved a disastrous experiment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here