Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke to do a 'Charlton'?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Big similarities here.

In 2006 Charlton finished 13th in the Premiership, which apparently wasn't good enough for them. Curbishley went. Look where they were 2 years ago.

In 2013 Stoke finish 13th in the Premiership, which apparently wasn't good enough for them either. Pulis goes.

Need I say more?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Actually think you could be right in terms of ultimate direction. Pulis, regardless of what people say about his tactics has made Stoke an absolute headache for most sides in the Prem over recent years. Respect for that alone.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Big differences also. The Coates family are on the way to being billionaires. Which is just as well really as Pulis has a net spend 3rd only to Chelsea and Man City in the past five years at £80 million.

Dec 29, 2011
Big differences also. The Coates family are on the way to being billionaires. Which is just as well really as Pulis has a net spend 3rd only to Chelsea and Man City in the past five years at £80 million.

12/13 Net spend, £20M
11/12 Net spend, £15M
10/11 Net spend, £10M
09/10 Net spend, £17M
08/09 Net Spend, £16M

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I can see Everton struggling next season.

Moyes gone, Fellaini and Baines possibly on the move... don't get the right man as manager and they could find themselves heading for the wrong end of the table

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Big similarities here.

In 2006 Charlton finished 13th in the Premiership, which apparently wasn't good enough for them. Curbishley went. Look where they were 2 years ago.

In 2013 Stoke finish 13th in the Premiership, which apparently wasn't good enough for them either. Pulis goes.

Need I say more?

That rather depends on whom they replace him with surely. If they appoint, say, Martinez, then they're could be looking to improve. If the appoint McCarthy, they could be going down

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
That rather depends on whom they replace him with surely. If they appoint, say, Martinez, then they're could be looking to improve. If the appoint McCarthy, they could be going down

My point is that teams like Stoke will not be in the Premiership for ever - they are a medium sized club who have done well for the past 6 or 8 years. Charlton made the mistake of wanting more than 13th, when realistically anything above 17th was a success for them.

Changing the person that made you a success is often the start of a very slippery slope for clubs.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Big similarities here.

Need I say more?

See Bolton and Big Sam also.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Big similarities here.

Need I say more?
We sacked the manager who got us to the highest spot in the old first division

Dec 29, 2011
that is staggering - looking at that squad you wouldnt think it

I know, I was surprised too which is why I posted it. They can probably afford that though, which shows show how lucrative the PL can be, imagine if that net spend was actually on good players what a squad they would have!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Appoint Martinez and with a bit of luck, they'll stay up a couple of years and then fall. But they'll play nice, losing football. Which is nice.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Big similarities here.

Need I say more?

In 1982 Brighton & Hove Albion etc etc

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Not sure what the situation with Pulis is but Curbishley flat out told our Chairman he wasn't going to extend his contract and left by mutual accord. He wasn't forced out although a large number of Charlton fans, myself included, were happy to see him leave at the time as his perceived arrogance - alienating big name (by our standards) players and thinking that he *was* CAFC - meant that as much as we appreciated all he had done in the past, he had become an albatross round our necks. What happened to Charlton after Curbs left is perhaps a warning from history to any other club's fans who might in future embrace the possible departures of managers perceived as arrogant. Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Indeed. Beat me to that. Google me was it boring football though. If you think Gus is negative try five minutes with Michael Bailey's Purple Army

I recall us beating Liverpool away, and Arsenal and Manchester United at home in the league under boring Bailey....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We sacked the manager who got us to the highest spot in the old first division

We were though struggling the following season when he actually got the sack. I cannot remember what position we were in or at what time of the season it was. Maybe someone on NSC can enlighten us.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Bailey's team had some great heroric wins, backs to the wall stuff. But teams got wise. I went to every game back then, home & away and away games soon became a case of holding on to our 0-0 start but eventually, after about 70 mins, we would concede. Then you might just as well go home because there was no plan B.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here