Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roberto Martinez to discuss future "next week"

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
... he'll be getting suspended then, right? He wants to speak with Whelan next week to discuss the future. Bit strange that, what is there to discuss? He has safely guided an established (if totally rubbish) Premier League team to relegation and has year(s) left on his contract. Where does he think he is going?

He has won an FA Cup by default. Sum total of his managerial prowess as currently displayed. Hugely rated for absolutely no reason at all. And the myth about their "good football" is painful.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Bournemouth (replay), Macclesfield, Huddersfield, 5 mins at Everton, Millwall, comatosed Man City.

Basically, a mixture of comedy anger, irrational loathing and jealousy that a club who have redefined the term tinpot have won the FA Cup.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It's strange that you get people that moan about the FA Cup only ever being won by the big clubs, yet when you get a small club that goes and upsets the applecart, people then turn around and moan that the winners are 'tinpot'. Surely that is what the essence of the FA Cup was meant to be in the beginning, a chance for a club to come from nowhere and have their moment of glory.

That said, I do agree to a point that the beatification of Martinez is excessive as he doesn't seem to be able to organise his teams defensively which is what cost Wigan this time. He laid a lot of the groundwork in Swansea's rise through the leagues, but it was really Sousa and Rodgers who followed him that made their defence more of a mean machine.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's strange that you get people that moan about the FA Cup only ever being won by the big clubs, yet when you get a small club that goes and upsets the applecart, people then turn around and moan that the winners are 'tinpot'. Surely that is what the essence of the FA Cup was meant to be in the beginning, a chance for a club to come from nowhere and have their moment of glory.

That said, I do agree to a point that the beatification of Martinez is excessive as he doesn't seem to be able to organise his teams defensively which is what cost Wigan this time. He laid a lot of the groundwork in Swansea's rise through the leagues, but it was really Sousa and Rodgers who followed him that made their defence more of a mean machine.

I would be all for a West Brom/Swansea/Barrow/Aston Villa/Newcastle/Rochdale type team win, proper football teams, all bigger clubs than Wigan and all of them playe better football. And have better players.

James McCarthy deserves atleast 5 FA Cup winners medals for carrying so many through that game. Amazing the difference one QUALITY player makes in a team.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I would be all for a West Brom/Swansea/Barrow/Aston Villa/Newcastle/Rochdale type team win, proper football teams, all bigger clubs than Wigan and all of them playe better football. And have better players.

James McCarthy deserves atleast 5 FA Cup winners medals for carrying so many through that game. Amazing the difference one QUALITY player makes in a team.

Bit harsh to say McCarthy carried the rest of the team. I thought McManaman was their most energetic player on the day and also Kone and Maloney played well. The last 2 have generally been the 2 on who Wigan's season has depended most. Alcaraz coped well with what was thrown at him as well, which admittedly was not very much.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bit harsh to say McCarthy carried the rest of the team. I thought McManaman was their most energetic player on the day and also Kone and Maloney played well. The last 2 have generally been the 2 on who Wigan's season has depended most. Alcaraz coped well with what was thrown at him as well, which admittedly was not very much.

Without McCarthy they'd have done nothing at all. Kone is a decent striker, Maloney is an alright attacking midfielder for a tiny and doomed club. The other one is hilariously overated. Dirty Liverpudlian piece of work.

Other than that, they're alright. Worst defence in the league - but that's ok because they play good football so it doesn't matter how many goals you concede. Oh, wait, it does.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Newcastle playing better football than Wigan? In terms of what statistic, fouls committed or long balls attempted?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
. Hugely rated for absolutely no reason at all. And the myth about their "good football" is painful.
Why did you suddenly switched from talking about Martinez and start summing up Poyet :lol: :lol: (Ducks for cover)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Tonight a Palace fan of all people outlined a path to Martinez being our next boss. Has heard that Solskjaer is going to get Everton and where else in the PL is RM going to go? Faced with a Championship campaign and attracted by our style of play, Spanish players and much bigger crowds, he heads for The Amex. Vaguely plausible I suppose...

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Unless Ferguson has recommended Solskjaer to Moyes who has then recommended him to Kenwright, I would be very surprised to see him appointed manager at Everton. That definitely has that look of an in-house appointment to me.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Unless Ferguson has recommended Solskjaer to Moyes who has then recommended him to Kenwright, I would be very surprised to see him appointed manager at Everton. That definitely has that look of an in-house appointment to me.

Me too. But the guy that told me's not a complete muppet (apart from being a Palace fan). He heard it from someone's in the game & put money on as a result.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield

McManamam was a superstar, by a million miles the best player on the pitch. Without question hes got an amazing future

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Tonight a Palace fan of all people outlined a path to Martinez being our next boss. Has heard that Solskjaer is going to get Everton and where else in the PL is RM going to go? Faced with a Championship campaign and attracted by our style of play, Spanish players and much bigger crowds, he heads for The Amex. Vaguely plausible I suppose...

Wigan are in Europe next season, maybe he would prefer that ?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
... he'll be getting suspended then, right? He wants to speak with Whelan next week to discuss the future. Bit strange that, what is there to discuss? He has safely guided an established (if totally rubbish) Premier League team to relegation and has year(s) left on his contract. Where does he think he is going?

He has won an FA Cup by default. Sum total of his managerial prowess as currently displayed. Hugely rated for absolutely no reason at all. And the myth about their "good football" is painful.

He's been aggressively angling for a move for 6 months. A little more eloquently than GP though.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Wigan are in Europe next season, maybe he would prefer that ?

In Europe with most of their best players gone. Endless extra matches on top of an already much heavier fixture list. Most managers would see that as a hindrance rather than a positive when promotion is so important. Martinez will not be at Wigan next season, that's for sure. It's just where he goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here