Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Reported on twitter that he's going to sign for Brighton

@UK_Transfer: Matt Upson will join Brighton and Hove Albion from Stoke City on a permanent deal this summer. #bhafc #scfc

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Hardly a reliable account, put 2 and 2 together because he's out of contract and a former loaned.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I would like this to be true. Regardless of who the next manager is anyone would love to have him in their squad.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
It will be the first positive bit of news in a week if true

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Just seen walk down North Street in his training clobber. Should have asked him!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Upson is much more likely to stay than Bridge, I would have thought but who knows....I got a feeling that no one is going to be put off by the new man, whoever he is i'm very confident it will be a man with enough clout in the game to attract the players we need.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who's decided that?

We haven't got a manager.........

My first thought too, not that I'm not pleased with the possibility of Upson signing. Signing players when a new manager may have other preferences and contacts does seem strange. Maybe Gus is staying?

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Very happy if true with or with out Gus any manager would be happy to have a player like Upson in the squad

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Barber used to be at Spurs and over the last 15 years or so, other than when Harry Redknapp managed them, they had a Director of Football/Sporting Director and Head Coach structure.

What you might be seeing as a result of Poyet moving on is that a similar structure is adopted by Brighton whereby transfer targets are decided by committee and headed up by a Director of Football (possibly Barber in the interim) with the manager left to focus more on just managing the team, thereby meaning the manager is seen as more accountable and less autocratic, which appears to have been Poyet's downfall.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Who's decided that?

We haven't got a manager.........

No but we do have a Head of Football Operations, a Chairman and a Chief Executive. Between them they are more than capable of making a decision on Upson.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
There's nothing on the Stoke Oatcake forum so far to help substantiate this. it'd be great if true.
As a side note, according to the Stoke forum it's all going tits up at Port Vale and Mickey Adams might be leaving.....MA part 3 anyone? <snigger>

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Barber used to be at Spurs and over the last 15 years or so, other than when Harry Redknapp managed them, they had a Director of Football/Sporting Director and Head Coach structure.

What you might be seeing as a result of Poyet moving on is that a similar structure is adopted by Brighton whereby transfer targets are decided by committee and headed up by a Director of Football (possibly Barber in the interim) with the manager left to focus more on just managing the team, thereby meaning the manager is seen as more accountable and less autocratic, which appears to have been Poyet's downfall.
i

Imagine David Burke would be pissed if Barber was making footballing decisions that are well above his remit.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
No but we do have a Head of Football Operations, a Chairman and a Chief Executive. Between them they are more than capable of making a decision on Upson.

Maybe. But I kind of assume that the manager would be the main decision maker.

And why commit to signing a player before a manager? I really rate Upson but all seems a bit arse about face to me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here