Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anti Virus Software

Aug 21, 2011
I currently use Norton Anti Virus, which is about to expire. I am getting prompts to re subscribe.
My question is , is this worth renewing again to Norton or does any one have any better suggestions as to a cheaper but equally good Virus protection. I run Windows 8.

Thanks

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006
Get a Mac. :jester:

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006
Free versions of AVG or Avast - both free and perfectly OK for home use. :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Microsoft Security Essentials has been effectively superseded for W8, it’s just called Windows Defender now, should be just fine, and little or no impact on the operating speed of your machine.

If you upgraded from W7, then you should uninstall all other AV software, Norton, MS Security Essentials etc.

Windows

Feb 8, 2013
Hove
Norton & McAfee are very well known to slow down your machine, so I'd avoid these at all costs.

I use Eset NOD32 which is not as well known, but doesn't slow your machine down and consistently gets top marks in the monthly tests carried out by a good AntiVirus site...same price as Norton etc also. :clap:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Buy Nod32, it is very lightweight, very effective, and excellent value.

Be sure to properly remove all the other AV first though

haardman

Jul 29, 2005
Microsoft Security Essentials has been effectively superseded for W8, it’s just called Windows Defender now, should be just fine, and little or no impact on the operating speed of your machine.

If you upgraded from W7, then you should uninstall all other AV software, Norton, MS Security Essentials etc.

This.

but on Windows 7 (or previous) use Microsoft Security Essentials (make sure you download it from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download - there are some dodgy alternatives that pop up on Google searches.

albionite

May 20, 2009
If you renew it don't do it from the net, will cost you £64. Go down to pc world and re buy it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
No expert,but I have had no problems at home using Avast.Dowload it free.
I also use Malawarebytes Anti Malaware.Free and seems ok to me.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
You should add Malwarebytes and Spybot along with AVG or Avast and I also use Comodo(Just the old firewall version,not the full suite). That has kept me fully covered for the 3 years. All are free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here