Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Born

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Its starting to get depressing the amount of people who express patronising surprise when I say I was born in Brighton (as were the pervious 7 or so generations on my Dads side). Does anyone else get this? Hopefully there are still a high number of Brighton Borns still able to live here!

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I get the same thing. I live and work in London, but I always get annoying surprise when I tell people I was born in Brighton/Shoreham (Southlands Hospital). And the amount of people who assume I live in Brighton, just because I support the club.....gets ****ing irritating when I have to repeat myself.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Never had patronising replies.

However, whenever somebody asks me where i'm from at Uni, the standard response is "Lucky you, I love Brighton". Either way, I was born in Brighton and plan to carry on living here for the considerable future.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Cant see how you can be proper albion if you are born outside brighton tbh.

My old man was born in Guildford.

He had never been to a game, was a 'Spurs fan' but had been to 1 or 2 games max. He moved to Brighton after Uni, and when I was 5 or 6 and first went (on tickets we won in a raffle) it was also his first Brighton game. It was the first season at Withdean. Kept on going every so often, and ended up both having a season ticket for the last 7 years at Withdean, and probably did 10-15 away games a year the last few of those.

He admits he'd never have got into the Albion if it wasn't for me pushing him to go to the football. In fact, still jokes how much money he's spent on the club. But I'd say he's about as 'proper Albion' as you quote as one could find.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Cant see how you can be proper albion if you are born outside brighton tbh.
Oh no, I was born outside the county and went to my first Albion game at White Hart Lane in 1977 and probably nearly a thousand games later at over eighty away grounds I now find out that I'm not a proper Albion fan.

Wish someone could have told me that in 1977 and I could have supported my local team Crystal Palace.

Next season I'll bring my passport to home games as an outsider.

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Oh no, I was born outside the county and went to my first Albion game at White Hart Lane in 1977 and probably nearly a thousand games later at over eighty away grounds I now find out that I'm not a proper Albion fan.

Wish someone could have told me that in 1977 and I could have supported my local team Crystal Palace.

Next season I'll bring my passport to home games as an outsider.

Silly to suggest you are not - original post is less to do with football and more to do with the high numbers of non Brightonians currently living here.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Brighton Boy, and still proud to be despite............... The Universities. We were here when the Laines were fields and the Lanes were a housing estate.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've never had a bad reaction from people when I tell them I was born in Brighton, and I've always been pleased to be able to say it. I guess it depends on who you're talking to and whether they are sane and love the place or insane and make cheap jibes.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Born in Brighton, Grew up in Hove, I often find people are usually suprised on a night out and are usually pretty nice about the town and how they would love to live here. doesnt bother me, OP seems like he has a chip on his shoulder.

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Born in Brighton, Grew up in Hove, I often find people are usually suprised on a night out and are usually pretty nice about the town and how they would love to live here. doesnt bother me, OP seems like he has a chip on his shoulder.

Comments arent generally from visitors but residents. Usually Londoners who now live here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Over the years I have had a few residents say they have not met anyone born in Brighton before. Personally I think it's pretty irrelevant where I was born.

SwedishSonna

Aug 9, 2005
Newcastle upon Tyne
Never had any sort of reaction when I've told people I was born in Brighton... even with having lived up north for 7 years now.

However, 'wor lass' was born in a former work house. So she gets a bit of jip from me for that.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Never had any sort of reaction when I've told people I was born in Brighton... even with having lived up north for 7 years now.

However, 'wor lass' was born in a former work house. So she gets a bit of jip from me for that.

Brighton General was a former work house.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here