Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did it dawn on you that one day you'd die, and were you 'bovvered'?

I've always thought it a little odd that I have no recollection of discovering this, the most devastating fact of life. I've never broached this subject with anyone before because I presumed that to every child, old age is so, so far away as to be insignificant. However, I was listening to an interview with Damien Hirst last Sunday where he recalled his dismay at learning he couldn't live indefinitely by keeping himself healthy and safe. This got me wondering as to which of these two experiences is the more prevalent. So, do you remember, and roughly what age were you?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
You mean we can't !?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Seriously , I think I knew quite young about life and death - now at a point where if I went Today it wouldn't bother me.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I'm 20, and I've already thought about it. I'm not that bothered about dying but what I am bothered about is the people I would leave behind.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I've always thought it a little odd that I have no recollection of discovering this, the most devastating fact of life. I've never broached this subject with anyone before because I presumed that to every child, old age is so, so far away as to be insignificant. However, I was listening to an interview with Damien Hirst last Sunday where he recalled his dismay at learning he couldn't live indefinitely by keeping himself healthy and safe. This got me wondering as to which of these two experiences is the more prevalent. So, do you remember, and roughly what age were you?

So long as I make everyday count and achieve most things that I want to do, I won't complain!

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I'm not bothered about dying, as I have no dependents, and won't be overly mourned/missed anyway. I'm more concerned about the fact that, as a Capricorn, I didn't do much when younger that my body would have let me, and now in middle age, my body won't allow what I'd like to do :) It's not would I, it's could I?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The older I get, the more I accept it, and the am more comfortable with it... I always think of the friends and family who didnt make it as far.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Unconscious in a hospital bed , attached to a load of tubes ? Not for me.

nor me
I HAVE A FEW THINGS TO PUT RIGHT which might take a while then I am ready
funeral plans PAH who cares you can't hear what they are saying about you when you are gone
one request I would like to make ......................can it be arranged for all the cats I have had the pleasure to know to be there when I pass I will need a warehouse by the way

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I do actually remember the time when i learnt that i would die, i must've been about 10 or 11, and i remember it really messing me up. I had a mini early-life-crisis and tried to become good at everything, i refused to go into school as i thought it was a waste of time. I think it was because i never really grasped the concept of religion or the afterlife, it just made no sense to me and i always knew that after death, there was absolutely nothing - it still scares me now if im brutally honest - i still get that cold lifeless feeling whenever i start to think about the abyss of death.

I seem to remember it being when our head-teacher (Mr. Pearson at goldstone, if you're reading this, dont know why he would being a leeds fan) sitting us down in an assembly and telling us this story of a man who kept asking the doctor 'am i going to die' and his response being 'yes' no matter what he did to improve his health. even then i thought aren't we a bit young for a depressing morbid story like this.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Of course everyone knows that you won't live forever, even little kids know that, but the words don't really mean anything to them, they're just words.
Every now and then a wave of realisation washes over you that one day you won't be here any more and everyone you've ever known won't be here any more; but you accept it and move on.

My only real aim in life is to be remembered for something good, what more can we ask for?

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
I live by this quote by Hunter S Thompson:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

End

Last edited:

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
I think probably when I was 6 or 7 finding out about death and going to heaven and imagining me looking down on the earth from a large hole in the sky but then you get to how long will that go on for? and apparently it's forever.... it was that concept of forever that really freaked me out and gave me sleepless nights.... it was probably coz my granma died around that time.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here