Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Van Dijk or Bridge

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
With Bridge, Upson and Hammond returning to their clubs and Painter, Dicker and Vicente released, we have lost our left backs, a solid centre half and three midfield players. Hopefully Dunk, JFC and other development players can break into the first team this season, but an established first choice left back is vital.

Bridge was a stand out player this season, and we have been after Van Dijk for some time. With Poyet almost certainly gone, would either Bridge of Van Dijk come to us? Are we even still interested in them? I suppose Maxi could be ready to be back up, but we really need a first choice left back.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If it was a straight choice I would go for Virgil as he's younger and the money involved would be an investment for the club.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Another season of Bridge would be fantastic. I don't know enough about the other fella to form an opinion.

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
If it was a straight choice I would go for Virgil as he's younger and the money involved would be an investment for the club.

what he said, bridge has had a fantastic season, but look forward i say.

virgil looks a fantastic prospect and if we can pinch him from the claws of a few premership clubs, then all the better. just wondering if he was impressed by the club as a whole or pooyet himself.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Another season of Bridge would be fantastic, but if we get promoted he'll need replacing (as he'll be 34 at the start of the 2014/15 season), so why not get someone younger in now to learn our way (or the way of the new manager) and to play for a few years.
Not sure who we could get in for left back, but I think VVD would be an ideal candidate to replace GG. He's young, tall, strong, apparently quite fast and scores goals.

Of course I'd like both for next season, but that might be a little unrealistic.

If we could get Upson back for a year and get VVD in too, I reckon them two could be a good defensive partnership, and Upson could tutor VVD.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Isn't it at least part of the "problem" that Gus wanted total control of all aspects with everyone (including the Chairman?) subservient to his needs/views?
Much of the club's player recruitment is via Burke and the scouting team. A new manager may well be more focussed on being the coach of the resources he is given albeit he will have a (lesser) voice in recruitment. Much the way many top teams worldwide operate and if we edge further in that direction it will be partly Gus's "fault"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here