Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael Gove and the teachers

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
As much as I have a general loathing for politicians and although Michael Gove fits the bill quite beautifully, I have to applaud his response to the hostile audience of headmasters. I can speak from experience. So whereas private sector versus public sector is bad enough, if you work 37 weeks a year with breaks every six weeks and home by ten to for four plus a pension that outweighs most private options, please don't use stress as a reason for your unhappiness. The fact you can be upset that somebody might just want to sit in your enclosed environment to check you might be half decent, is surely the least we should do for the children.

Everybody remembers a good teacher that they had a school. Mysteriously it is usually only one. And I doubt that ever used the word stressed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22582627

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A tip: when fishing it's probably best to do it at a time when there is little else going on. You will get more bites this way. Ill give you 7/10 for the cast, 0/10 for timing.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The latest edition of the OED has a new entry. Gove (verb) - The action of coming up with a daft idea, particularly a retrograde step, but then blaming its failings on anyone bar the person that thought of it.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Blimey. Providing this is not a fishing attempt, you must be easily impressed.

Gove is playing a major part in destroying education in this country, and all you can do is fall so completely for his strawman tactics. He is presenting teachers as frightened, fragile things wanting to be unaccountable and unanswerable, which is hardly a fair representation. This man, together with Elizabeth Truss, is making judgements and decisions based purely on ideology rather than listening to educational experts, teachers and nursery workers who know their stuff. All are telling him he doesn't know what he's talking about. I work in pre-school education, and the proposals on changes to ratios, not to mention his attack on play-based learning, are going to have a negative impact on the learning and development of children in this country. But carry on being impressed by the blatherings of this idiot who recently used exercises taken from a website (i.e. not from any school) as evidence of a decline in standards in school teaching.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
As much as I have a general loathing for politicians and although Michael Gove fits the bill quite beautifully, I have to applaud his response to the hostile audience of headmasters. I can speak from experience. So whereas private sector versus public sector is bad enough, if you work 37 weeks a year with breaks every six weeks and home by ten to for four plus a pension that outweighs most private options, please don't use stress as a reason for your unhappiness. The fact you can be upset that somebody might just want to sit in your enclosed environment to check you might be half decent, is surely the least we should do for the children.

Everybody remembers a good teacher that they had a school. Mysteriously it is usually only one. And I doubt that ever used the word stressed.

I agree with your first point about politicians, but in my experience I can't agree with many of your other points about teachers. My wife is a part time teacher now but before we adopted our kids she was deputy head. Home by ten to four? you're having a laugh. Most days she was home between 6-6.30 having to sort out the Myriad of issues that had occurred during the day. Then coming home with bags of paperwork and marking often doing this until 10 or even 11 p.m. In evenings, weekends and most school holidays doing lesson planning, setting up post school clubs, gifted and talented, sorting out extra coaching for special needs kids ect ect ect, the list goes on. And all the while being hit by kids, abused by parents and being told to do better by the government. And when O.F.S.T.E.D came in the work load was doubled, she even worked through the majority of the summer holiday to get the school up to scratch, thankfully all her hard work paid off. My wife never moaned she just got stuck in, she loved the kids and her school. So when head teachers talk of stress I can totally understand what they're saying, yes there are crap teachers but they are totally outweighed by the amazingly dedicated ones, irrespective of what party is in power, teachers are used as a political football.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm not a violent person but Gove has got the world's most punchable face.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Crap teachers are always used as the yard stick for the res of us. unfortunately there are always a whole bunch of muppets that will believe everything they read about teachers. Must dash as I am about to spend my Sunday afternoon analysing and assessing test and writing samples so I can write reports. Once I am done with that I wil be planning lessons and writing agendas and sorting out some bits and pieces for the lunchtime clubs I run.

If I get all this done I may continue the process of finding myself another career which will pay me enough money to provide for my family and reward me adequately for the work I do. Even after my pittance of a pay rise from the people who show so little respect for what I do that i still have to apply for my job every year. Not to mention the lack of respect for my profession from ****tards like the OP and Gove.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I was a teacher for 7 years at secondary level, I now work in industry. Both have different challenges. My working day was a bit shorter as a teacher and long holidays were great, work was often different and rewarding.

As a teacher I could not choose to go on holiday out of season, I was not paid well, it was pretty stressful as you can not switch off during a lesson or nip out. Your day can hinge on the mood swings of teenagers.

When you balance it all out, they are all jobs and none is easier or harder than another, just different.

D

Deleted member 22389

Boring heard it all before.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Utter bollocks from the OP. My other half is a school head, she spends half her time trying to separate feuding parents, and the ore half going through 'data' that Gove and the civil service throw at her. I rarely see her Monday to Friday before 9pm, and yesterday she spent the whole day at the school summer fair, which had to be held indoors due to the weather, and then vacuumed the whole school before leaving as the cleaners will not be in until after classes finish Monday.

This country will succeed or otherwise in the 21st century if we equip our children with inquisitive minds, problem solving capabilities and a passion for science, engineering and the arts. Forcing them to learn the names of former prime ministers because it impresses the editor of the Daily Express, and other idiotic Gove related nonsense is a huge step backwards.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Utter bollocks from the OP. My other half is a school head, she spends half her time trying to separate feuding parents, and the ore half going through 'data' that Gove and the civil service throw at her. I rarely see her Monday to Friday before 9pm, and yesterday she spent the whole day at the school summer fair, which had to be held indoors due to the weather, and then vacuumed the whole school before leaving as the cleaners will not be in until after classes finish Monday.

This country will succeed or otherwise in the 21st century if we equip our children with inquisitive minds, problem solving capabilities and a passion for science, engineering and the arts. Forcing them to learn the names of former prime ministers because it impresses the editor of the Daily Express, and other idiotic Gove related nonsense is a huge step backwards.

Abso-bloody-exactly

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I wouldn't care about having an inspector sitting in my lessons everyday as long as I got a job in my country, instead of being overlooked because I am on the highest scale. 63 job applications 1 interview. Maybe next year I may have some more joy on the job front, but I won't hold my breath.

Albion Rob

My understanding is that the NAHT is pretty moderate so for them to cause a stink should be noticed. However, isn't it just an extension of the "all against all" rhetoric being employed by the Tories?

People on benefits - scrounges laughing at you for working hard
Teacher - lady and unaccountable with more interest in their salaries than your kid's future
CIvil Servants - clueless idiots, enemies of enterprise, best ask the lot and leave all executive power in the hands of our whiter than white politicians
Immigrants - they all come here and claim benefits, ignore here search. And those that don't just nick jobs off Brits
Any expert who disagrees with them - everyday folk are sick of being told how to live heir lives, ignore this person who has 30 years experience in this field

If the terms and conditions are really that good and the job that easy why does the OP not teach? Seriously.
Gove flipped his home, maxed out on expenses every single year he could before the expenses scandal, and moonlighted for News International for a reported £200,000 p.a. Odd that the OP doesn't compare the terms & conditions of teachers with those of Gove.
Not only is he an expense cheating hypocrite, he gives the very distinct impression that he would not last 5 mins in most UK secondary classrooms.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here