Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play Offs Right Or Wrong?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the advantadges are obvious,keeps the interest for alot of clubs,wembley and all that

something don't seem right about today though,Bradford finishing 7th but getting promoted

not only that,but a fancy day out at Wembley and collecting a cup at the end of it

something the automatic promoted clubs miss out on

surely after 46 games,the rightful teams promoted should be the top 3/4

obviously this will not change,as Wembley has just become a cash cow

play offs right or wrong?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Totally right. Keeps the season interesting for so many more teams and everyone knows the rules at the start of the season, if you finish 3rd (or 4th in League 2), you don't go up automatically.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
They have been going long enough now for clubs to know the drill at the start of the season. It is a bit of an Americanisation of the sport as this is commonplace in the NBA, NFL etc, but at least it keeps interest going right to the end of the campaign whereas in the past there might often have been a lot of dead rubbers come the final month of the season. I used to be against them going back a few years, but they have become part of the furniture now and sometimes the play-off winners have fared better than the automatically promoted sides the following campaign, perhaps because they have the momentum whereas the top 2 will have got it wrapped up and then started thumbing the holiday brochures.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Nothing wrong with them. We lost so deal with it.

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Its all about the money these days. TV rules, therefore the play-offs stay.
And no, Its not right. Top 3 up, bottom three down is the way it should be - and that includes the Conference (which should be League 3)

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
In my view totally wrong, you play all season gathering points, finish third only to be beaten by some team who finished 6th some ten points behind you. During this game, the Ref makes a bad decision, that leads to the 6th place team being promoted and all the seasons hard work goes up in smoke.
Those types of games are for cup matches not league deciders.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I do not think the play off teams should be rewarded with a game at Wembley or a trophy.
The play offs should remain with 3rd v 6th and 4th v 5th.
The final should then be held at the home venue of the highest team left in.
So for this year as Watford finished third, then they should play Palace in the final at their home ground (Vicarage Road).
As that should be an advantage, you should get the higher placed teams winning.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
In my heart of hearts I know the play offs are wrong. The best teams over the season should go up.

But, they are such damn good theatre.

I say keep them but tweak the rules so they are more in favour of the higher placed teams. Dunno how, but in some way.

For example, why not get rid of penalties in the semis? Play 2 legs, draw at the end, highest placed team goes through.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
In my heart of hearts I know the play offs are wrong. The best teams over the season should go up.

But, they are such damn good theatre.

I say keep them but tweak the rules so they are more in favour of the higher placed teams. Dunno how, but in some way.

For example, why not get rid of penalties in the semis? Play 2 legs, draw at the end, highest placed team goes through.
Nah, Why two legs? 3rd place should have home advantage against 6th place. Winner on the night goes through.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
In my view totally wrong, you play all season gathering points, finish third only to be beaten by some team who finished 6th some ten points behind you. During this game, the Ref makes a bad decision, that leads to the 6th place team being promoted and all the seasons hard work goes up in smoke.
Those types of games are for cup matches not league deciders.
Agree with this. Top three up,bottom three down. As it always was and still should be.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I do not think the play off teams should be rewarded with a game at Wembley or a trophy.
So for this year as Watford finished third, then they should play Palace in the final at their home ground (Vicarage Road).

this seems to be a pretty good idea

if we are to have the play offs then teams who finished higher should get some kind of advantage

like the idea of one off games too,at their own league grounds

Wembley should be a sacred place to play for a pro footballer

playing for England or in a cup final

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
the advantadges are obvious,keeps the interest for alot of clubs,wembley and all that

something don't seem right about today though,Bradford finishing 7th but getting promoted

not only that,but a fancy day out at Wembley and collecting a cup at the end of it

Did it bother you this much when we won at Cardiff?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Did it bother you this much when we won at Cardiff?

I was commenting as a general football fan

of course I was over the moon when we won at Cardiff

just as I was gutted at Wembley against County

did I think we should of been there,no

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
The play offs have been around for over 25 years and are an accepted part of the season. Any body still moaning about them is stuck in a timewarp.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
this seems to be a pretty good idea

if we are to have the play offs then teams who finished higher should get some kind of advantage

like the idea of one off games too,at their own league grounds

Wembley should be a sacred place to play for a pro footballer

playing for England or in a cup final

agreed, bradford have been to wembley, what, like 50 times this season? what is the point...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

That seems about right. I'm in favour of keeping the play-offs as it keeps the season interesting right up till the final day, but it is ridiculous that a team finishing 6th or 7th can have a day out at Wembley and get a 'cup', when the best teams in the division don't get the opportunity. The final should be a one-off match at the home of the club that has finished highest.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

They are wrong. I get the point in the rugby Premiership, as the top teams lose their international players and are still required to play, but that is not the case with football, and certainly not at Football League level. Just unfair. Watford should have been promoted without all this Playoff nonsense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here