Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Operation Chastise

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Otherwise known as the Dambusters raid was carried out on the 17th of May 1943, 70 years ago today. It holds personal interest to me as my Grandad worked on the 'bouncing bombs'. He was a welder at RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire for the famous 617 Squadron.

I'm going to Germany next week and will be stopping off at the Mohne reservoir.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Great history,I was 4 when that raid was carried out,did'nt know much about it but it was part of my history lessons at school.

Fountainhead

Jan 31, 2011
Herts
Otherwise known as the Dambusters raid was carried out on the 17th of May 1943, 70 years ago today. It holds personal interest to me as my Grandad worked on the 'bouncing bombs'. He was a welder at RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire for the famous 617 Squadron.

I'm going to Germany next week and will be stopping off at the Mohne reservoir.

Always wonder how we (this generation) would have responded to the challenge. Massive respect to the ordinary people that stood up too the tyranny of Hitler. Would we have done the same if called upon. ( i know nuclear weapons may make that question redundant now!)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If ever in the area, go to the Petwood Hotel in Woodhall Spa, which was used by 617 squadron, and they have a room in there dedicated to their memory, which is pretty interesting.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If ever in the area, go to the Petwood Hotel in Woodhall Spa, which was used by 617 squadron, and they have a room in there dedicated to their memory, which is pretty interesting.
Thanks I will. I've still got relatives in Lincolnshire, it sounds like a good excuse for a visit.

:thumbsup:

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Dambuster raid just leaves me utterly amazed at the absolute skill and bravery of those who took part,in my opinion the most audacious action in WW2.All who took part are total heroes in my eyes.Fantastic.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Thanks I will. I've still got relatives in Lincolnshire, it sounds like a good excuse for a visit.

:thumbsup:

Great! Check that it is still there first though as it was 10 years ago since I was there. Pretty sure it is though. Was there playing golf and on the last morning we were there, a Lancaster flew over the golf course, so we were extremely lucky!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
people forget the acts of bravery back then this one was among many that helped us overcome the tyranny of Hitler and most probably saved this UK of ours to be free as we are
God rest the souls of all those who took part in the saving of this country then and even now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here