Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tax credits and OFSTED question

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Sorry if not fixtures and nothing to do with Gus

In short, I have been asked by HMRC to re-pay all the Tax Credits I have had since my son was born. They first asked me to provide all the receipts for childcare I'd ever used, then stopped payments for no reason. A year or two later and after much persistence I found out why - some of the childcare providers used were not ofsted-registered, so they want to disallow the whole amount.

Now as a single parent who works full time (apart from a couple of periods of unemployment, when I was self-employed), and living in London, I have to use school holiday care which fits in with my working patterns, eg near a tube station if I'm commuting in a certain direction, or one with extended hours so I don't get to work late (holiday clubs from 10-3 are no good if you work 9-5), or one which accepted 4 or 5 year olds (my son had an August birthday), or which were open on dates that coincided with his holidays - which has often meant having to drive miles out of my way to find somewhee.

I have therefore had to use a variety of different childcare providers - which HMRC don't like, as their PC system is based on you only using one or two.

Some childcare providers have said they haven't registered with ofsted because it would mean having to employ a lower calibre of staff than they do at present - oftsed requires then to be NVQ level 2 and 3, which are nursery staff, which is not relevant for school-aged children. And some can only get ofsted registration for children who attend breakfast club (eg 8-10am) but not for the rest of the day. Also you can't register if you run for less than a certain number of days a year, which will clearly affect a lot of holiday schemes. And some private school-based clubs (which I had to use when working in Harrow) don't even use ofted, they use ISIS.

A couple of years back there was a proposal for a different scheme, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I have got to the point where I want to make a formal complaint, and write to someone to contest the rules, because it seems like it just hasn't been properly thought out. I know I'm not the only one having problems.

But I'm not sure who I should write to. Should it be my MP? Head of Policy ay HMRC?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry if not fixtures and nothing to do with Gus

In short, I have been asked by HMRC to re-pay all the Tax Credits I have had since my son was born. They first asked me to provide all the receipts for childcare I'd ever used, then stopped payments for no reason. A year or two later and after much persistence I found out why - some of the childcare providers used were not ofsted-registered, so they want to disallow the whole amount.

Now as a single parent who works full time (apart from a couple of periods of unemployment, when I was self-employed), and living in London, I have to use school holiday care which fits in with my working patterns, eg near a tube station if I'm commuting in a certain direction, or one with extended hours so I don't get to work late (holiday clubs from 10-3 are no good if you work 9-5), or one which accepted 4 or 5 year olds (my son had an August birthday), or which were open on dates that coincided with his holidays - which has often meant having to drive miles out of my way to find somewhee.

I have therefore had to use a variety of different childcare providers - which HMRC don't like, as their PC system is based on you only using one or two.

Some childcare providers have said they haven't registered with ofsted because it would mean having to employ a lower calibre of staff than they do at present - oftsed requires then to be NVQ level 2 and 3, which are nursery staff, which is not relevant for school-aged children. And some can only get ofsted registration for children who attend breakfast club (eg 8-10am) but not for the rest of the day. Also you can't register if you run for less than a certain number of days a year, which will clearly affect a lot of holiday schemes. And some private school-based clubs (which I had to use when working in Harrow) don't even use ofted, they use ISIS.

A couple of years back there was a proposal for a different scheme, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I have got to the point where I want to make a formal complaint, and write to someone to contest the rules, because it seems like it just hasn't been properly thought out. I know I'm not the only one having problems.

But I'm not sure who I should write to. Should it be my MP? Head of Policy ay HMRC?

CAB could be your first port of call. Also find it hard to believe that Ofsted 'require' registered nurseries to employ lower calibre of staff. Sounds more like they are evading a load of red tape!

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
CAB could be your first port of call. Also find it hard to believe that Ofsted 'require' registered nurseries to employ lower calibre of staff. Sounds more like they are evading a load of red tape!

My son is 8 and stopped using nurseries years ago. This is for childcare in the school holidays, so I can go to work during the day. At this age it tends to be places like Fit for Sport, Camp Beaumont, Albion in the Community etc - mainly sport as boys have a lot of energy to run off

All the CABs round here have closed, and the one up near Paddington never answers the phone.

I'm not sure they would have guidance on something that is effectively not on their list of procedures, but I will see if I and get through to someone.

It might be that I have to take it to a lower tribunal, though that's not something I have a lot of experience of.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Sorry to hear your story.
I am no expert and may be completely wrong,but I believe there is a complaints/appeal procedure associated with Tax Credit decisions and you may be best to lodge an appeal.This has to be done in writing and you may have to request a 'complaints/appeal' form from HMRC.
Suggest you give them a call and get the ball rolling without delay.
Good luck.Let us know how it goes.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My son is 8 and stopped using nurseries years ago. This is for childcare in the school holidays, so I can go to work during the day. At this age it tends to be places like Fit for Sport, Camp Beaumont, Albion in the Community etc - mainly sport as boys have a lot of energy to run off

All the CABs round here have closed, and the one up near Paddington never answers the phone.

I'm not sure they would have guidance on something that is effectively not on their list of procedures, but I will see if I and get through to someone.

It might be that I have to take it to a lower tribunal, though that's not something I have a lot of experience of.

I hear what you are saying but I very much suspect the CAB will have enough knowledge to help, which could also include how to complain about the decision.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/search.htm?query=tax+credits

You may well have had a look at this site but the above page seems to include a section on how to complain.

Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here