Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When is it acceptable to leave a football match early?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
This was highlighted in the Fiver as: "Brighton fans! When is it acceptable to leave a football match early? The Guardian Sport Network knows...." - is there a deserved reputation brewing?

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I drive to and from London to all home games which is sometimes a 5 hour round trip so I leave bang on the 89/90th minute as im not round the corner, I think this is acceptable.
If you live in the surrounding area no excuses!

black shadow

Jul 22, 2011
Hassocks
Whenever?!...here's a thought - if you've paid for your seat perhaps it's up to you whether you stay still final whistle or whether you leave a few minutes early...doesn't make you any less of a supporter
these threads are getting tedious, will ignore them in future!! :yawn:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
3 0 down is the time to leave ,saw all 6 goal's in the 5 1 defeat away at Plymouth many moon's ago and left on 38 minutes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
When it announced over the Tannoy that your wife has gone in to labour.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
On a stretcher. If i were to leave earlier for a slack reason, i would have to pretend i received an urgent text, carry out an imaginary conversation with a still and silent phone, repeatedly saying "No! No way. Oh my heavens. Say that ain't so! Why?!! Why why why?!?! No!! I am on my way." and then scarper from the stands distraught and tearful. I'd keep up this pretense until off the train in Brighton and flinging myself into a taxi. Then, i'd relax, a little exhausted from my performance, reminding myself that indeed my yet-to-be-bride hadn't actually been gored to death by a randy bear.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not this thread again. Can one of the mods sticky it?

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
These 'leave early/real fan' threads mystify me. They fail to recognise:

- the club you support is the religious bit, or affliction in some cases..lord knows its felt like that some years
- attending a game is buying a service, purchasing entertainment or in the case of hospitality having it bought by someone else...that's why clubs are run as a business and market themselves to appeal to a demographic eg families.
- like any goods or service you buy you can consume or waste as little or as much as you want...that's your business and no-one else's. It bears no reflection on your support for the club, if indeed you support that club...you may just be watching a game of football between two teams. That's what you've paid to do.
- the honest conversation is the people that comment on others leaving early have their own issues, some acknowledging only their own view of the world and some perhaps from the autistic spectrum

I left early the other night, I rarely do, but after a long day I don't relish the challenge of the bloody A23 closure northbound. Didn't matter, took over 2 hours to get home. I left Brentford v Doncaster early, I didnt want my little boy to see their security lose more control than they already had and face a cramped stampede amongst police horses. We all have our reasons for when we leave...you'd think 'fans' of our great club of all clubs would accept and understand that, but clearly we have our idiots too.

liam82

Onwards and Upwards
Apr 8, 2007
Eastbourne
I left when the 2nd goal went in, why? because I was so disappointed and I really couldn't take watching the palace fans celebrate.

I have had a season ticket for over 15 years, does leaving early on an occasion like this make me a bad fan? my dad on the other hand who has only been coming on and off for a few years stayed to the end, does that make him a better fan than me?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here