Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Financial Fair P lay

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure that I read that Man City owners have sponsored Man City for £200m through their company to overcome this rule. If he so desired to put in the money could TB company sponsor our training academy or similar or £20m to circumvent this rule.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sorry didnt see that thread so perhaps a mod could merge them and somebody answer my question.

Sponsorship and other commercial deals will be analysed to assess whether or not they are at a reasonable market value. The same way in that you'd probably hear from HMRC if you sold your house for £249k, to avoid stamp duty, and then included your carpets in the sale for an extra £50k.

This is the theory; whether or not it'll be practical to implement without drawn out legal challenges from the clubs involved is another matter.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
think nwgull covers it, the short answer is yes within reason.

Man City are having their sponsorship checked over, but its not an totally unreasonable amount for a long sponsorship deal. what will be difficult is if they try to do it again in a year or two. Whats going to be more interesting is how some of the financial arrangments of large european clubs are working when the spotlight is brought onto them, as some are borderline fraud in the first place (bank loans £100m to club, writes off the debt a few years later, writes off the loss against taxes)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here