Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why not Martinez ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
On the If Gus were to go thread there are an awful lot of names, but not a lot of support for Martinez.

Given he plays attractive football, speaks Spanish, is extremely loyal, works well with limited resources, has taken Wigan further than they could ever have expected and knows how to conduct an Interview without throwing his toys out of the pram.

I was wondering why people wouldn't want him ?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I would have no problem with him but I suspect (unless he sees us a long term thing AND Poyet leaves of course) he'll be managing a Premier League team next season.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'd love Martinez. But I can see little chance of him coming here. I think he'll get a middle ranked premier club at least.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He could well be favourite (and rightly so) for the Everton job, but if it doesn't happen, he does seem to like a long term project.

And if Gus did go, i think he could quickly regret it. I suspect he could manage for a long time and not find a chairman as good as Tone.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I'd be surprised if Martinez moves this year as I see him being more principled than that. Having won the cup, in Europe next year, some loyalty and a degree of responsibility for Wigan going down, I think and hope he stays there.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Don't panic, we'll end up with Warnock!
:shootself

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I hear SAF may have some time on his hands next season!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Martinez turned down Liverpool and Villa last summer. Can't see it happening. Right now, I'd drive Gus to Wigan if we could do a swap.

ThePolishJig

Mar 21, 2013
I've seen Di Matteo at the AMEX. I have a funny feeling it will be him or Hughes.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Blimey.

Why not Martinez?

Well, his two options (before even considering us) are:
1 - Stay with Wigan who will be VERY VERY well equipped to "bounce" straight back up.
2 - Join a prem club.

It has absolutely nothing to do with if WE want him or not.

D

Deleted member 18477

**** Martinez. I want Sir Alex to come out of retirement!

Let's be serious... If he's going to manage a championship team next season it's going to be Wigan. He's a Wigan fan not just their manager. Wigan are also in the Europa league, we're not. Wigan have a chance of winning the community shield, we don't. Wigan have 60 million parachute payments over the next 4 years, we don't.

Yes we have great attendances but Martinez? :lolol:

In my opinion Gus should stop being a baby and man up! He'd get far more respect from fans and chairman's around the country if he got us up in the next 2-3 seasons.

Taking a shite league 1 team in 2009 to the prem by 2015/2016... And also totally transforming the clubs style of football giving it an identity? Wow is what I think when a manager does that kind of thing. I'm not the biggest fan of Tony Pulis but what a job that man has done at Stoke!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I've seen Di Matteo at the AMEX. I have a funny feeling it will be him or Hughes.

if and only if I had to I will take the ITALIAN option rather than the welsh thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here