Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus has lost my respect!

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
If a manager is worth anything the big clubs will come calling.

Although emotions will have played apart, I don't think it right that just after the club and fans have taken a beating from Palarse and narrowly missed a dream trip to Wembley, that Gus should in my eyes infer that he's open to offers, by saying he's considering his future.

Focus on commitment to your well paid job and future commitment to doing it well and job offers will inevitably come, if you want to go. Having watched last nights performance, listening to the post match interview just made it worse.

Nobody is bigger than the club, and maybe the club has 'reached it's roof' with Gus?

Just an opinion.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
He hasn't lost my respect.

Thanks Gus, for...

- Guiding us to safety in year one
- Securing the League 1 trophy in year 2
- Consolidating our position in the championship in year 3
- Getting us into the play offs in year 4

And on the way we've had the chance to see Albion players capped; we've seen players come to the club that we might only have dreamed of in the decade gone past; and we've seen a truly entertaining brand of football.

In an industry that feeds itself on the expectation of career transience he has been here nearly four seasons. Not bad, and long enough to change the brand of football I remember us playing. So thank you, and whatever you decide I wish you nothing but the very best. I hope you decide to stay here for another season, because I believe there is more you can do and learn by being here.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
I bet your tune will change if he is here next season and gets us promoted.

All I want I his commitment to the club. Don't dispute he's taken us forward, and whatever else this season has been a great season. Just don't like the veiled threats. He's had a lot of support this year to achieve what he has.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham

Thanks Gus, for...

And on the way we've had the chance to see Albion players capped; we've seen players come to the club that we might only have dreamed of in the decade gone past; and we've seen a truly entertaining brand of football.

In an industry that feeds itself on the expectation of career transience he has been here nearly four seasons. Not bad, and long enough to change the brand of football I remember us playing. So thank you, and whatever you decide I wish you nothing but the very best. I hope you decide to stay here for another season, because I believe there is more you can do and learn by being here.

Top post. 100% agree

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Thanks Gus, for...

Brilliant post.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

Thanks Gus, for...

As previously stated, great post. At first I was upset by what he said but none of it is that bad when you consider what he has done for us.

Also, I think it was more him getting in first when it comes to talks of a transfer budget saying 'if that is the roof, I can't do anymore, but, raise it a bit and I will stay and improve once again'

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
As previously stated, great post. At first I was upset by what he said but none of it is that bad when you consider what he has done for us.

Also, I think it was more him getting in first when it comes to talks of a transfer budget saying 'if that is the roof, I can't do anymore, but, raise it a bit and I will stay and improve once again'
I hope you're right!

Orson Cart

Oct 10, 2012
Last night this years dream passed away and I think Gus was as sad and disappointed as any of us - because he's totally invested in the club.

So maybe we shouldn't read too much into what someone says at a time like this. After the wake lets wait and see what the cold light of day brings. I think that with a little faith and hard work there isn't a team in the league that can finish higher than us next year.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Thanks Gus, for...

what he said,with bells and whistles.
I hope he stays at least one more season,a slight extra influx of funds for some tweaking and i truly believe we can tear this league a new one!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
All I want I his commitment to the club. Don't dispute he's taken us forward, and whatever else this season has been a great season. Just don't like the veiled threats. He's had a lot of support this year to achieve what he has.

Commitment to the club is an illusion as those fans who left early the other night demonstrated. Loyalty in football is a very rare thing, it would probably be best to just forget about it and enjoy the fact that we have an up and coming manager who has taken the club some of the way with him on his journey to the top. When we part ways I will be sad but will wish him well as I am sure he will us.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
What Gus said on Monday night was not the best choice of words but you need to remember two things. One is that when you hear what he said and listen to the whole of what he said and not just the "choice" quotes then it's clear that he was extremely disappointed in every way. He has invested himself in this club, brought it forward and deserves our respect whatever he chooses to do. Secondly, this is not the first time that Gus has said things that we wished he hadn't or at least had put in a different way. It's not the first time he has reflected on his position instead of being more diplomatic. It's not meant he's jumping ship before and does not mean that he will 100% move on now.

I think, and hope, his position will become clear in the next couple of weeks. If he stays then that's fine by me. If he goes then I thank him and wish him all the best. I think it would be better for continuity if he stayed but it's not the end of the world if he goes as I trust the judgement of TB to have made provision for that scenario.

I am far more concerned about what happens to our team. The 2nd half of the season was so good because of players like Bridcutt, Upson, Bridge, Lopez, Ulloa etc. I think we could lose many of these and be forced to rebuild. I loved watching Vicente play, he will almost certainly move on but (regretfully) I don't think he will be as missed as one of the above. FFP means that we have to start balancing the books and player P&L will be key. If several key players move on then will the rules allow us to replace enough players with the right quality to maintain the momentum for next season?

I really hope so, but that is far more of an issue to me that what Gus finally does.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
It's quite clear reading between the lines - he wants to move to a club with a retractable roof. Quite understandable. Frankfurt? Ajax? Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
When Gus spoke after the game he was hurting, like we all were, to an extent that he has probably never experienced before. Ok, maybe he should've been more measured, reflected for a few days and then given a more rational interview but Gus is an open, honest and emotional guy and he says what he thinks at the time. I think Tony Bloom understands Gus and will talk to him in a few days when he's calmer. That said, the things that Gus said form part of an ongoing series of themes from him (ie budget too small to compete effectively, does the ambition of the club match mine etc etc). TB needs to remind him that both Watford (albeit by taking advantage of a rule loophole) and Palace have achieved this season with considerably less resources than were available to Gus and that when he signed for us he signed up to a five year plan (and not instant success) and that this plan is on track.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
When Gus spoke after the game he was hurting, like we all were, to an extent that he has probably never experienced before. Ok, maybe he should've been more measured, reflected for a few days and then given a more rational interview but Gus is an open, honest and emotional guy and he says what he thinks at the time. I think Tony Bloom understands Gus and will talk to him in a few days when he's calmer. That said, the things that Gus said form part of an ongoing series of themes from him (ie budget too small to compete effectively, does the ambition of the club match mine etc etc). TB needs to remind him that both Watford (albeit by taking advantage of a rule loophole) and Palace have achieved this season with considerably less resources than were available to Gus and that when he signed for us he signed up to a five year plan (and not instant success) and that this plan is on track.

I think this is an accurate reflection of the conversation TB will have - albeit indirectly. As gibseagull and pigbite point out, Gus wears his heart on his sleeve. It's probably why he's loved by the players.

I admire his ambition. I think TB has the same ambitions, but their routes to the end result may be different. If TB can reconnect Gus with his plan then we are all back on board.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Commitment to the club is an illusion as those fans who left early the other night demonstrated. Loyalty in football is a very rare thing, it would probably be best to just forget about it and enjoy the fact that we have an up and coming manager who has taken the club some of the way with him on his journey to the top. When we part ways I will be sad but will wish him well as I am sure he will us.

Sorry but thats rubbish! The fans show their commitment by turning up in the first place, paying for the ticket, food and drink, replica shirts etc etc all of which helps finance the club. People left early because they couldnt face the last 10 minutes for all the reasons we know about plus the usual desire to get home in decent time on a Monday night. I left early and having been actively supporting the Albion for 33 years, I dont believe leaving 10 minutes early at a game shows that my commitment to the club is 'an illusion'.

However, a Manager who is much loved and respected by the fans, who within minutes of a devastating defeat, say he is not sure if he is going to stay and even says the length of his contract is irrelevant IS showing his commitment to the club is an illusion. And he is, of course, paid to be there unlike the fans.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
My decision to leave early had nothing to do with the time I got home, in fact as I get up for work at 3.45am I decided to take Tuesday off, just in case it went to extra time and penalties.
No I left early purely do to the fact I couldn't bring my self to watch 2000 Palace fans celebrating in our own back yard.
I was gutted, I had a tear in my eye, and watching that lot dancing with joy was too much for me.
If that means I'm disloyal, then so be it.

As for Gus, he either needs to state he's here to stay and fight again next season or leave quickly and allow someone new to come in and plan for next season.
Either way I'm not overly fussed, I have complete faith in Tony Bloom to make the correct decisions.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here