Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

While we're having an inquest into last night: Palace have far better songs than us...

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I hate to admit it but apart from being outplayed for much of last night, I also thought we were outsung. I'm not really talking noise levels but the fact Palace have far better songs than us. Ours - yes even the Ulloa one - are really quite bland and generic in comparison.

Skipping through the recording of the match on my telly - and including Friday's game - it really highlights how we could really do with something better than "There's only one Liam Bridcutt", "AAAAALBIOOOOON, AAAAAAALBIOOOON!" and the usual assortment of putdowns to the tune of Sloop John B.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Has NSC changed into the Eurovision Song Contest ???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There are far bigger issues to worry about today than the standard of singing.

XYZ123

Mar 23, 2013
Well you came and you gave without taking
And I sent you away, OOOORRRLANDI
And you kissed me and stopped me from shaking
And I need you today, OOORRLANDI
(Barry Manilow - Mandy)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
While we're having an inquest into last night: Palace have far better songs tha

Didn't they just sing that one song over and over?

A song that's sung by the fans of half the teams in the country.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong

(Barry Manilow - Mandy)

Orlandi to the tune of Mandy, this has potential.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

(Barry Manilow - Mandy)

Change the words to something appropriate to football and this works.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Disagree , palace have a few of those "european" chants which I hope we never adopt like we nearly did.

Thought our songs were good last night. No issues. That Albion , Albion one is lame though

The Argie song is good but hard to sing forever since he doesn't score a goal a game and Murray was needed when it mattered ie no goals in play offs. Bit ironic

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

A song that's sung by the fans of half the teams in the country.

Is that the one that goes 'you know it's true'? Total carp and in no way were we outsung ..but do i care NO ..we fekin lost and that's more important

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Is that the one that goes 'you know it's true'? Total carp and in no way were we outsung ..but do i care NO ..we fekin lost and that's more important

The song is 'we love you, we love, etc.' originally sung by fans of St Pauli (in English bizarrely). Don't know which UK team's fans picked it up first, although the Irish fans have been singing it for at least 4-5 years. Either way it's not specifically a palace song and these days is about as generic as anything to the tune of Go West or Sloop John B.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Songs don't particularly affect the outcome of games. It doesn't matter whether they are original, borrowed, loud, fast etc. the unpalatable truth is that Crystal Palace won because they played better on the night, not because of how loud their fans were, how loud ours were, their song selection compared to ours, or that Palace players respond to clackers and ours get distracted by them.

Fans as the 12th man is like the tooth fairy. It doesn't exist. It's a marketing ploy designed to make you feel influential and more likely to stick around. What matters is the quality of players, the focus and performance of the players, and the right tactics and level of resilience. All else is just fluff as far as the outcome of a game once you've paid for your ticket and are at your seat.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The had two different songs at home on Friday night the are always more on a away game.

Ns always start loads of different ones it's up to the other stands to join in

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Songs don't particularly affect the outcome of games. It doesn't matter whether they are original, borrowed, loud, fast etc. the unpalatable truth is that Crystal Palace won because they played better on the night, not because of how loud their fans were, how loud ours were, their song selection compared to ours, or that Palace players respond to clackers and ours get distracted by them.

Fans as the 12th man is like the tooth fairy. It doesn't exist. It's a marketing ploy designed to make you feel influential and more likely to stick around. What matters is the quality of players, the focus and performance of the players, and the right tactics and level of resilience. All else is just fluff as far as the outcome of a game once you've paid for your ticket and are at your seat.
But there have been scientific studies that have showed that more crowd noise / support = more goals...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Last edited:

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
Did you really endure a recording of the game to monitor songs.....?

There a lot of wonderful train numbers out there to collect, god give me strength..................
I hate to admit it but apart from being outplayed for much of last night, I also thought we were outsung. I'm not really talking noise levels but the fact Palace have far better songs than us. Ours - yes even the Ulloa one - are really quite bland and generic in comparison.

Skipping through the recording of the match on my telly - and including Friday's game - it really highlights how we could really do with something better than "There's only one Liam Bridcutt", "AAAAALBIOOOOON, AAAAAAALBIOOOON!" and the usual assortment of putdowns to the tune of Sloop John B.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
(Kids In America)
Inigo Calderon, Wo oh!
Inigo Calderon, Wo oh!
We've got the Super Basque in town!
Na na na nanana. Na na na nanana...

*not sure on the third line but it's a start!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here