Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet "we have a few problems"

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
That's what gus said last night when talking about financial fair play. Did he mean we haven't got the money to give him the budget he wants?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
That's what gus said last night when talking about financial fair play. Did he mean we haven't got the money to give him the budget he wants?

Yes , we can meet the FFP criteria by reducing costs but this probably means the budget will have to stay the same.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Next season all the teams in the Championship will have the same budgetry restrictions, so the playing field will be level. We have 30K attendances and huge matchday revenue, surely that will put us in the ascendency.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Next season all the teams in the Championship will have the same budgetry restrictions, so the playing field will be level. We have 30K attendances and huge matchday revenue, surely that will put us in the ascendency.

Aside from the fact that some teams will be banking up to an extra £23 million from parachute payments, yes.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
That worked out well for Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves didn't it?

Yes , we can meet the FFP criteria by reducing costs but this probably means the budget will have to stay the same.

Actually, to avoid any sanctions (transfer embago/fines depending on which division/league we end up in) we have to get our operatonal loss to below £8m next season. Within this criterion the budget can be whatever the Board decides.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Aside from the fact that some teams will be banking up to an extra £23 million from parachute payments, yes.

That worked out well for Blackburn, Bolton and Wolves didn't it?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Except the 5 teams who will get AT LEAST 16 million in parachute payments, and the others who will get 8 million.

The only way we can even partially bridge this chasm is to sell Bridcutt.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
16 million is the equivalent of an extra 35,000 on the gate each week spending 20 pounds on a ticket after VAT.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Except the 5 teams who will get AT LEAST 16 million in parachute payments, and the others who will get 8 million.

Like I said, that has NOT worked out for Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton. The teams coming down this season will still have huge wage bills to pay, which will take a lot of the parachute payments, that is what they are for. From what we saw of last years relegation teams, I'd still think we can be a top challenger.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But you said everyone had the same budgetary restrictions, which I don't think is true.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

It's wrong but that's just what we all have to live with the future. Presumably then Gus is saying he's now only interested in managing a Premier League or recently relegated Premier League club?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
But you said everyone had the same budgetary restrictions, which I don't think is true.

Yes, I see where you're coming from, and I agree to an extent. However, there will still be a minimum loss allowed, and those teams will have to meet those rules too, so it is the same rules, just they, in theory, will have a lot more money to use to avoid making too much of a loss. Reading will have far lower crowds next season, revenue for tickets and advertising will drop significantly, so will need to offset parachute payments against that. QPR have a tiny ground, ticket sales will tumble, and advertising revenue will reduce. Wigan, likewise regarding crowds and revenue, if its Villa or Sunderland then they too will feel the similar effects, but are probably better established to handle it. These factors contributed to screwing Blackburn and Wolves this season, Bolton faired a bit better, they retained much of their supporter base, but none of them shone at all this season.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Like I said, that has NOT worked out for Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton. The teams coming down this season will still have huge wage bills to pay, which will take a lot of the parachute payments, that is what they are for. From what we saw of last years relegation teams, I'd still think we can be a top challenger.

With you Phil and you saved me typing it out :)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

This with bells on. Parachute payments are eaten up by covering the wages of failed premier league players who are still on premier league wages for 2-3 years. Of the last 9 teams to come down, only West Ham have bounced back - and that was by the play offs.

Yoda

English & European

I think the major thing that contributed to their awful seasons was the instability if first team management.

West Ham proved last season with stable management you can challenge to go straight back up.

Reading didn't over spend this season and I can't see them firing Adkins early season either. With their parachute payments, they will be challenging to go straight back up.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
A smaller budget doesnt seem to have caused Palace too many problems. Our biggest problen is a self obsessed manager who constantly moans about how tough things are for him. A total facade he uses when things dont work out for him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well we were nearly there if you think about it. Take away Kuszczak's and Ankergren's 2 calamities and we'd have finished 2nd ?

Gus wasn't far off, I am convinced there is someone out there who can get us promoted.

If Gus doesn't fancy it, I don't think there are many who'll miss his budget moaning, and the constant job speculation he does nothing to silence.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A smaller budget doesnt seem to have caused Palace too many problems. Our biggest problen is a self obsessed manager who constantly moans about how tough things are for him. A total facade he uses when things dont work out for him.

Palace have a well run youth system already, which is something we can start running on an even keel from next summer, when our academy is finally in place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here