Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Is going to be a big player for us next year. Can't see him leaving in the Summer so here's my attempt at positivity with regards to Ash:

Since he's come back from suspension, he looks hungry, he's been putting in a lot of effort on the pitch. Within minutes of coming on yesterday he very nearly scored twice, stopped by a great save from one chance and a goal-line clearance from a good header. He really looked like a threat in the box for us where we were lacking for the entire match. Just a bit more luck from one of those chances and the game would have changed completely, just down to him.

But also he looks to have gained some maturity from his time out. I honestly think, played as a striker, he would have been our top scorer this year and I have high hopes for him next year.

I know that a lot on NSC won't agree with this, but Barnes is in my opinion the most underrated player in our squad and I can see him becoming a top player in the next couple of seasons.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Was tremendous when he came on. Created chances and put in some excellent tackles,was always involved.

If he can be played upfront, he'd be a real handful

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If his first touch had gone in we'd have won last night. As Gus said, such fine margins..... Perhaps we should've started with him. Ulloa did nothing, unfortunately.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Tonight highlighted why Ashley used to be one of the first names on Gus' teamsheet. We missed him.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I agree (always have, in fact)... Barnes has really had the bit between his teeth and has started to show his quality. He's also got a great engine which is something we badly missed until he came and if anyone still doubts the importance of the protection he gives to his fullback, look at how poor Buckley's support of Calderon was last night.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I don't get why he gets so much stick, he looked good last night, caused problems and almost got a goal. The problem was that bar Lua Lua who had just come on, everyone was deflated, the two subs looked energetic and wanting to get that goal, but could not because of the other 9 on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here