Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet tactics...

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I'm not even going there re last night as we all know this was well below our normal standards. Just something that came up a lot after the game and especially this morning is WHAT exactly is Gus Poyet's Plan B or does he not have one? And one other thing pointed out which I agree with is... Why is he always so reactive with his substitutions? Pretty football is great to watch but do we not need to grind more games out now and then and win dirty if need be? Passing side to side and possession is great but managers earn there money by adapting and overcoming situations in my opinion especially in high pressure games.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Far from impressed that he got out though by Holloway but when you look at the bench how was he going to chance it? Barnes and LuaLua did come on, Crofts or Hammond would be no real difference.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Far from impressed that he got out though by Holloway but when you look at the bench how was he going to chance it? Barnes and LuaLua did come on, Crofts or Hammond would be no real difference.

I just felt that he can be too reactive as opposed to being in control before the inevitable happens

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
How many times had Gus waited until we have gone behind before he makes the substitutions? Virtually every game we have lost since we moved to the Amex. Also Kaz was brought on too late in both play-off games.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I trust Gus but I did think the plan was to keep things tight in the away leg then go for it at home with Buckley and Lua Lua and/or Barnes. The fact he was so determined to keep a very lacklustre David Lopez on suggests he was thinking of keeping it tight all the way to penalties.

But whatever the system or tactics, we lost because too many players didn't play well. Had we played anywhere close to our best, we would have won - even with a defensive line up.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton

We were getting outmuscled in midfield thats where we need to change it, Crofts should have come on or started and Barnes should have started as well. We did not earn the right to play last night and our flair players were brushed aside last night by a strong willed and physically more powerful side.

They had more in the tank than we did over two games close together. Mentally and physcialy they were the better team.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
We have no plan B, this is how teams have managed silly wins or draws throughout the season. Last night we were static, didn't look like we could anywhere, why? Holloway sussed us out

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
At the end of the day, some people need to realise that the manager stays on the sideline and it's the players that take to the pitch.

It's easy to say the tactics were wrong, but over the 2 games, we probably did create the best chances, and probably just needed a touch of luck.

I thought we were set up well last night, but they just didn't perform to the sum of their parts. The manager can't always do a lot about that.

He did change it, and Barnes was a coat of paint and a clearance off the line from potentially winning the tie - even though we weren't playing that well.

All Holloway did was keep Zaha on Calde (which has taken him 3 matches to figure out) the rest was that they were just more at it than us. They weren't at their place.

Wasn't Gus's fault last night, we were slightly off colour and needed a touch of luck. Palace are a very good side on their day, too many people I think believed we should be just rolling them over.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
He was out witted by worzul :facepalm:

I'm not sure Gus was outwitted/ played the wrong tactics/ picked the wrong starting eleven etc etc

We needed an early goal and that didn't happen.
We needed the players to be at their best and they weren't.

End of.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm not sure Gus was outwitted/ played the wrong tactics/ picked the wrong starting eleven etc etc

End of.
He Knew how to beat Palace at home yet failed to play the same formation this time round just wierd.

D

Deleted member 18477

End of.

we needed palace not to have the game of their life! they did.

thats football! i'd of been more gutted if we had lost the way leicester did put it that way... we'll bounce back though, we always do! :bhasign:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Tactics that got us to 4th in a tough league?

We've seen a few teams do what Palace did last night at the Amex and have success, Charlton spring to mind.

Everyone just saw how to play us on Sky last night.

Expect all teams to turn up next season with that gameplan.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lua Lua played for 18 minutes last night when we were already one down. Incredible. He was on ****ing FIRE against Wolves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here