Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Apologies if there has already been a thread on this, so busy it's hard to see.

But why can't this fella cope with two games close together? Was virtually invisible last night which I can only put down to being knackered from the first game.

Is it a case of him not yet being up to full fitness because he didn't do the pre season stuff that the rest did?

A few of them looked leggy in the last 30 but he was knackered from the first minute. I genuinely think Barnes would have been a better bet.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Apologies if there has already been a thread on this, so busy it's hard to see.

But why can't this fella cope with two games close together? Was virtually invisible last night which I can only put down to being knackered from the first game.

Is it a case of him not yet being up to full fitness because he didn't do the pre season stuff that the rest did?

A few of them looked leggy in the last 30 but he was knackered from the first minute. I genuinely think Barnes would have been a better bet.

Was thinking that myself after 60 minutes.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
To be fair to the guy we wouldn't of made the playoffs without him with CMS injured and Barnes being suspended for so long.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Like CMS earlier in the season Ulloa was left so isolated it was little wonder he was not involved much. We were just sending speculative hoofs up to him that even when he won there was nobody anywhere near him. The one time someone got near him (Barnes) we nearly scored.

Our strikers get the criticism as CMS did before his injury but with so little service and support in some games is it a wonder they look isolated and ineffective?

When the wingers have got behind the full back and Lopez is swinging in cross after cross Ulloa comes into his own but did not happen enough over 2 legs

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
It was a game where CMS would have been a treat, run around non stop and throw himself after every ball. I cannot wait to see him supplement the attack next season. I was very disappointed with Ulloa considering how good he has been before but it is hard to tell where the fault lay last night, was it in the poor crossing which gave him nothing to attack, his positioning? the poor passing and lack of purposeful movement. Lopez was completely out of the game with his ineffectual freekicks, the spaniards all looked tired other than Calde who actually played very well by and large.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He was to isolated and the service to him was shite felt sorry for him and he must be wondering why he signed with the formation we played.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To be fair to the guy we wouldn't of made the playoffs without him with CMS injured and Barnes being suspended for so long.

Completely agree and I'm not saying anything bad about him, just really curious as to why it is the case that he can't do two games back to back.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I am hoping his general level of fitness is the issue and a decent pre-season will solve the problem.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Spanish Len joined mid season from a Spanish club , his fitness levels have to adjust to the English game. Watch him next season to see what a pre-season does to his stamina and fitness levels.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
A striker relies on service - Ulloa got none. Every time the ball was out wide he was calling for a cross but it never came, especially from Lopez on the right who seemed determined to force a ball through for Buckley instead of whipping it in to the box

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Spanish Len joined mid season from a Spanish club , his fitness levels have to adjust to the English game. Watch him next season to see what a pre-season does to his stamina and fitness levels.

That's what I am hoping. A fit Ulloa and fit CMS would rip this division apart next season.

I thought he did too much last night, I suppose I'm too old fashioned in my views of how a centre forward should play. Oh well, the modern game and all that.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Agree he looked below par but even when he won a flick on there was no midfield support or no runners getting ahead of the ball. We were so easy to play against last night and didn't threaten nearly enough to deserve the victory.

Bearing in mind the stakes, the atmosphere and opposition we should have got of on the front foot and put their back four under more pressure. Playing both Buckley & Lua alongside Orlandi & Lopez from slightly deeper central positions would have at least ensured Ulloa was better supported rather than isolation like last night.

If that was too cavalier for Gus then why not consider Crofts for Hammond in the second half. Crofts hasn't had a great season but he gets his foot in, has more mobility than Hammond and does get ahead of the ball.

Going back to Ulloa thats his 3rd game in 9 days why wasn't he rested against Wolves when it was a glorified friendly for us?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He was to isolated and the service to him was shite felt sorry for him and he must be wondering why he signed with the formation we played.

this. the forward wingers were far too wide and midfield too deep to offer any support.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Why didn't Ulloa perform over the two legs? Possibly more to do with the fact that Holloway learnt from the trashing we gave them earlier in the season, ensured supply to Ulloa was restricted and Gabbidon had Ulloa in his pocket in both games. As others have said, we also played into Palaces hands by failing to get forward from midfield quickly to give Ulloa any support and the Palace centre halves had a pretty easy evening of it. Tactically we got it wrong, shame Gus can't accept that he is not infallible.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5704154 said:
Buckley, Orlandi and Dave all had poor games. Leo had little to no service all evening, hard to judge him really although he look absolutely shattered.
I thought Buckley ran his heart out my MOM

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This, can't believe people are questioning him.

People aren't questioning him, they're asking whether his fitness is a problem or not? We all know how vital he's been to our season and what an impact he's had. Nobody has suggested that he's a bad player, mainly that he needs a comprehensive preseason to make sure that 2 games in 4 days ins't too much for him...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here