Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Give GUS £15-20m to spend as one last throw of the dice

Doug-ees-evil

Nov 18, 2011
OK.. so think where we've come from since '09. Struggling at the arse end of League One. GUS has transformed the club from the bottom up.. we play great football at times (lightweight still in areas admittedly), have incredible attendances during double-dip recessions, and one of the finest stadiums in the country (noise/atmos last night was incredible). What GUS lacks as a person is class and integrity. Constantly putting himself in the bloody shop window is disrespectful to the club which has given him a wonderful platform for his considerable managerial talents. We have a chance to build again and with the right purchases and ONLY with 100% comittment from Poyet, stand a very good chance of nailing the automatic promotion places next year. Given the riches of the PL.. Tony B's £20m punt now would be well worth it I'd say. Cardiff took several knock-backs before this year's triumph, Swansea had heartache before eventual top level glory. THIS PAINFUL DEFEAT IS A GOOD THING AND TEST OF OUR 'NEW' FANS - SHAME ON THOSE OF YOU FOR NOT STAYING AND CLAPPING OFF THE TEAM AT THE END FOR THEIR HIGHEST LEAGUE FINISH IN OVER TWO DECADES!

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
OK.. so think where we've come from since '09. Struggling at the arse end of League One. GUS has transformed the club from the bottom up.. we play great football at times (lightweight still in areas admittedly), have incredible attendances during double-dip recessions, and one of the finest stadiums in the country (noise/atmos last night was incredible). What GUS lacks as a person is class and integrity. Constantly putting himself in the bloody shop window is disrespectful to the club which has given him a wonderful platform for his considerable managerial talents. We have a chance to build again and with the right purchases and ONLY with 100% comittment from Poyet, stand a very good chance of nailing the automatic promotion places next year. Given the riches of the PL.. Tony B's £20m punt now would be well worth it I'd say. Cardiff took several knock-backs before this year's triumph, Swansea had heartache before eventual top level glory. THIS PAINFUL DEFEAT IS A GOOD THING AND TEST OF OUR 'NEW' FANS - SHAME ON THOSE OF YOU FOR NOT STAYING AND CLAPPING OFF THE TEAM AT THE END FOR THEIR HIGHEST LEAGUE FINISH IN OVER TWO DECADES!

£20m on top of an £8m loss would do us over FFP-wise

would rather consolidate and build sensibly then splash money around and do a leicester

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I don't disagree with backing the manager but 20 million? I don't think throwing crazy money about is the answer. Yes Swansea and Cardiff had knock backs but they Swansea especially stuck to there game plan of good football and building a team year on year. At no point did they throw that sort of money about.
If Gus stays and he can keep the majority of the team here from this year. 2-3 more quality signings to freshen it up should see us in a good place again next year.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Palace have proved you don't need to spend £20M by spending virtually f*** all on no marks and has beens to paper over the cracks :lolol:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We shouldn't gamble on going up to the Premier League. That is how teams get into trouble. I rate Gus and am desperate for him to stay but not by putting the club at risk.

I am confident the budget will increase as we are now up to 30,000 capacity and have sold more season tickets than last season already. I imagine he will also get any money from sales. However, we shouldn't put the club's future at risk by throwing money around and I am sure Bloom wouldn't do that.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We have some league 1 players coming off the books and expect their wages to be used on higher level talent, whether 'free transfers' or big signings.

Doug-ees-evil

Nov 18, 2011
Fair enough.. £20M might be pushing it. £5m then. But I am more gutted this morning about the potential dismamntling of everything that has been building for 4 years. I can deal with losing to the sc*m as we've had a sensational season, finishing comfortably above THEM and the play-offs are a well-known lottery. What I hate about modern football is the temporary nature of it all. Agree - a few quality signings (adding strength, guile, tenacity) will make all those draws becomes wins next season. Would be heart-breaking for it all to crumble now.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
I'd be amazed if Tony Bloom willing to gamble this kind of money on someone he's not 100% sure wants to stay or is committed enough to see it through - I've heard enough well placed sources say that at a few public functions this year there has been quite an obvious distance or atmosphere between the two, not least when GP has made audible comments with some financial aspect to them, that could easily be deemed critical. My guess is if TB going to risk many millions on another punt at the premiership, he may well take the view better to give them to someone new and who perhaps will better use them to the max - having just seen a £100 million potential windfall disappear last night, and without much fight it must be said, I can't believe any more decisions on future expenditure will be rushed or done without serious thought about what on and with who.

Doug-ees-evil

Nov 18, 2011
Compared to a lot of conversations this morning.. this one is turning out to be sensible. Good points by all - well made. I also heard tales of GP blanking TB at the players do this week. I'm not advocating wild care-free spending, more a continued commitment to build and clearly we are a few players short of really taking the championship by storm. TB has put a shed load in but surely that can't be seen as wasted - look what's it's done already for the town/county, we're back on the football map. We are an incredibly attractive package/proposition for any budding, ambitious manager. If GUS doesn't want it anymore/thinks he's bigger than the club, then let someone else take the reins who is committed. They'll be plenty queuing up (JOSE? :))

Fair enough.. £20M might be pushing it. £5m then. But I am more gutted this morning about the potential dismamntling of everything that has been building for 4 years. I can deal with losing to the sc*m as we've had a sensational season, finishing comfortably above THEM and the play-offs are a well-known lottery. What I hate about modern football is the temporary nature of it all. Agree - a few quality signings (adding strength, guile, tenacity) will make all those draws becomes wins next season. Would be heart-breaking for it all to crumble now.

Assuming the Albion continue to be running at an £8m or so operational loss during the next financial year (July 2013-June 2014) then an additional £5m injection from the shareholders (ie TB) will put us £5m above the maximium loss limit under FFP. This will incure a fine, the proceeds of which will get distributed to the other Championship clubs. Should the shareholders not be prepared to take up additional equity (shares) to "cover" the annual loss (max of £5m/pa allowed to be issued as new equity) then our max permitted loss under FFP for 2013/14 is reduced to £3m and so the fine will be levied on £10m (ie £13m-£3m).

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
Nooooo we do not want to do that! Primarily because I don't want us going the way of mental QPR, Pompey etc, but also because I don't think we need that much. As long as TB provides a decent budget, and all the fees for any players leaving are available for re investment, we will be fine. Gus (assuming he stays) has shown that a lot of his best transfers are the cheap ones (bridders, dave, Orlandi, PIG etc).

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Absolutely not, I don't want this club going bust. Besides, Poyets made far too many suspect signings to be trusted with that kind of money.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
It quite lidderally grows on trees according to some so-called supporters. :thumbsup:

Well you see you spend it, realise that you haven't got that kind of money, then like the scum from the slum you pay it back at 1p in the pound.

No thanks this is Brighton & Hove Albion FC we are not thieves and we can hold our head up high, lets keep it that way.

Graymac

May 1, 2013
Isle of wight
Most sensible thread after last night, I think we need a reality check, IMO we punched above our weight this season, when you look at clubs like Leicester who are 30m in debt & still didn't make Prem . We certainly don' t want to do a QPR. The championship is a tough league to get out of , but with the new rules coming in making it a level playing field, well supported clubs like Brighton will do well. This was our first attempt in the play offs look how many times Cardiff were in them. I have supported Brighton for over 45 years & though last night hurt it certainly wasn't our worse season. I can understand Gus's frustration but not sure he should use the media the way he did. It was like he was saying I'm unhappy here, please buy out my contract & give me a job .
Perhaps the time has come for Brighton & Gus to part company, sometimes you have to ditch the pretty football & try & win ugly.
I'm sorry I had lo leave with the herd but it is not easy to get back to the isle of wight & only just made the 00.00 boat . The next one is 03:00 am, so wouldn,t haven't been home to 04:00 . Well done to all those who could stay I would have loved to have clapped the players for their effort this season. All the above is just my opinion & it's good to have a healthy debate without going down to the level of some of the ove threads I have read post last night.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
He's had money but wasted it on players like Dobbie, Harley, CMS(paid too much)

Doug-ees-evil

Nov 18, 2011
Clearly my early criticism of early leavers was not aimed at supporters who travel to home matches from the Isle of Wight!!! That is phenomenal. Ever thought of getting your own speedboat? Hats off to you for that round trip. I'm more bothered by the people who leave early to get home in time to watch THE VOICE on a Saturday night. Going back to financials - you are all quite right, financial stability should always be top priority. When the dust settles... we're all agreed the club is in great shape and this was a splendid season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here