Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4 points off automatic promotion

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
it wasn't all about last night, look at the points thrown away throughout the season and the lack of a proven back-up 'fox in the box'. If that problem had been addressed earlier, draws would have been turned into victories, thus negating last night . Whilst I admit goals have come from all over the pitch, it's ironic that our top goalscorer has been injured for the run-in.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Last night summed up the season for me. Nearly there but not quite. Had chances that didn't go in. Let the match slip to a more clinical team. Ineffective when chasing the game. We're close to being very good but seemed like the excellent run-in took its toll.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Good point, up until 6 games out it was in our own hands, lacklustre performances allowed it to get away from us. We have a real problem with playing midweek games at home, is it preparation, we come out slow, lacking energy, not motivated or are we believing our own press. Cardiff, Ipswich, Leeds, Millwall, Blackburn, Charlton and Leicester all home midweek fixtures that we drew with stuttering performances. Win just two of those matches and forgeting every other match and we are promoted automatically. There is a pattern there, most of us have to work during the day and come to the match at night, but the players and staff have much more time for preparation, something is not happening and thats where we lost our way!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
it wasn't all about last night, look at the points thrown away throughout the season and the lack of a proven back-up 'fox in the box'. If that problem had been addressed earlier, draws would have been turned into victories, thus negating last night . Whilst I admit goals have come from all over the pitch, it's ironic that our top goalscorer has been injured for the run-in.

Our automatic promotion was lost by two stupid last minute goalkeeping errors.
Kuszczak at Birmingham and Ankeregen at Forest, add the four points to our total and with our goal difference we would have gone up in second place.

Brighton 79 points GD 28
Hull 79 points GD 9

So all the talk about goal scoring is wrong, as without these two goalkeeping errors, we would have finished with the best GD in the Championship.

What could Gus have done about that?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Kuszczak at Birmingham and Ankeregen at Forest, add the four points to our total and with our goal difference we would have gone up in second place.

Brighton 79 points GD 28
Hull 79 points GD 9

So all the talk about goal scoring is wrong, as without these two goalkeeping errors, we would have finished with the best GD in the Championship.

Ridiculous post to say the least...

You don't mention all the wonderful goalkeeping performances that saved us points throughout the season.....

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Brighton 79 points GD 28
Hull 79 points GD 9

So all the talk about goal scoring is wrong as without these two goalkeeping errors we would have finished with the best GD in the Championship.

However, a goalkeeping error can/will always lead to a goal, a striker can miss 10 chances, a poor penalty miss can cost the same points as a goalkeeper error. On the other side of the coin, how many points have our keeper won this season.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham

Brighton 79 points GD 28
Hull 79 points GD 9

So all the talk about goal scoring is wrong as without these two goalkeeping errors we would have finished with the best GD in the Championship.

And both those errors were in the 90th minute

2 moments of lapsed concentration are the difference between success & failure
Or you could look at
Ulloa missed pen at Barnsley
Missed pen v Leeds
And a few other times when Orlandi missed a few chances to wrap up victories at Amex to eventually draw the game 1-1 (Blackburn & Bolton I think )

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Dont buy any of this, all teams could point to missed chances and keeper errors over 46 games. Im sure had Hull put away all their close chances they would have had more than 79 points.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Ridiculous post to say the least...

You don't mention all the wonderful goalkeeping performances that saved us points throughout the season.....

Why is it ridiculous?
Are you telling me that those two schoolboy errors did not happen?
Are you telling me that if they had both held onto those balls we would not have gone up?
Sorry it is a fact and yes Kuszczak played well for the season, but please don't tell me these errors had no effect on our season.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
However, a goalkeeping error can/will always lead to a goal, a striker can miss 10 chances, a poor penalty miss can cost the same points as a goalkeeper error. On the other side of the coin, how many points have our keeper won this season.

I agree, but we have a poster starting a thread that we did not sign a back up striker. I am just pointing out promotion was possibly lost by school boy errors rather than failing to spend another couple of million.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Why is it ridiculous?
Are you telling me that if they had both held onto those balls we would not have gone up?
Sorry it is a fact and yes Kuszczak played well for the season, but please don't tell me these errors had no effect on our season.

No disputing the fact they happened just I'm level headed enough to know that he saved us plenty of times which outwayed the errors.....

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Why is it ridiculous?

Yes they happened but so did CMS take a poor penalty to drop two points v Leeds, ditto Ulloa later, Barnes self destruction at Sheff Wed when we could have got at least a point, wasn't it Hull at home where Kuszczak made a brilliant save to which we got 3 points from.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I assume you will take into account the games we didn't deserve to win like Watford away, Cardiff away etc. Also, I assume that nobody else in the league drew/lost games they should have won. Why can't we accept that we did well to get fourth and last night just wasn't our night rather than saying we should have gone up automatically.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Brighton 79 points GD 28
Hull 79 points GD 9

You can't just isolate one position and blame that. You have to look at the team and where the team have let points slip.

Someone did it on here - added up all the points we've undoubtedly thrown away this season (Bolton (h), Bolton (a), Blackburn, Birmingham (h), Birmingham (a), etc) and deducted the ones we've got out of jail with (Peterborough last min winner, Blackpool away draw etc) and we've should easily have netted another 8 points or so.

Kempo

Nov 3, 2012
I could be wrong, but I believe we've dropped 16 points this season from conceding equalisers. Eight games that I can think of where Brighton had a lead. For me that's the teams biggest focus.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Dont buy any of this, all teams could point to missed chances and keeper errors over 46 games. Im sure had Hull put away all their close chances they would have had more than 79 points.

No. I don't think Hull would have gained many more points. I suspect if you were to calculate how many points Hull got per goal, you'd be looking at around 2.3. They must have had the best value from goals any team has had for years with all those 1-0 victories. Hull over achieved and will get destroyed next season.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Brighton 79 points GD 28
Hull 79 points GD 9

Far too simplistic approach

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Far too simplistic approach

I do realise that, but when someone wants to go and spend a couple of million on another striker, to get the 4 points needed, that this is also not that simplistic.
My post does demonstrate, just how close we were to automatic anyway, not to slag the keepers off.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

Brighton 79 points GD 28
Hull 79 points GD 9

That's only taking those two games in to equation, and you are correct. But the problem is that we have also lost points against teams we should have beaten, but instead we couldn't break down due to a lack of plan B

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here