Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace will always have the upper hand on us

I've long suspected this, but last night confirmed it. We might now have the better ground, more fans (at the moment) and arguably better players, but in the end they will always be on top. Two wins in however many years have been mere brief (and ultimately meaningless) highlights in an otherwise constantly losing battle.

1979 - Beating us to the Division 2 title
2002 - Smashing us 5-0 in the most eagerly anticipated league meeting in years
2004 - We win the play-offs to reach Division 1, they win the play-offs to reach the Premier League
2005 - Injury time winner at Withdean
2011 - Sign our top goalscorer on a Bosman and go on to become the first away team to win at the Amex
2012 - FFSMurray-inspired 3-0 win at Selhurst
2013 - Beat us in the play-offs, despite being rank outsiders

We can bang on about Groupon and burning their own town all we like but the sooner we accept that, on the pitch, where it matters, we will always be in their shadow, the better.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
They will not have the better hand in times to come.

The stadium and training ground will in time transform our club.

The futures good.

TB

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I've long suspected this, but last night confirmed it. We might now have the better ground, more fans (at the moment) and arguably better players, but in the end they will always be on top. Two wins in however many years have been mere brief (and ultimately meaningless) highlights in an otherwise constantly losing battle.

2004 - We win the play-offs to reach Division 1, they win the play-offs to reach the Premier League
2011 - Sign our top goalscorer on a Bosman and go on to become the first away team to win at the Amex

We can bang on about Groupon and burning their own town all we like but the sooner we accept that, on the pitch, where it matters, we will always be in their shadow, the better.

Nothing is set in stone. The next 30 years could be ours with palace defeat following palace defeat.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
We've finished ahead of them in the league two years running. Three in a row next year as long as Watford do the business in a couple of weeks.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You've heard of the phrase 'Rome was not built in a day'? We've had 2 seasons since moving from the life support machine that was Withdean and aren't doing too bad by finishing 4th in the league and having more season ticket holders than the rest of the championship has average attendances!

I agree, they still have the upper hand on the pitch - only just - but our infrastructure and potential is far greater than Palace's.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex

First Away team in the LEAGUE to win at the Amex you mean.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex

Could not have put it better myself, well done for posting this, hats off to you. I am not going to gloat too much yet as we have not reached the promised land. What a game I am very proud of my team they handled the pressure and did not bottle it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Absolutely no logic at all, you are just offering a current/past form statistic.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
They were not the first away team to win at the amex. Both spurs and Liverpool had triumphed here before that. Results on the pitch head to head is the only area where they have the upper hand on us. Stadium, fan base, money and future potential our all in our favour.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But it doesn't offer any likely future outcomes, why would it.

If this morning you want to bat around past/current form tables then fine, but it doesnt as the OP said offer some confirmation that Brighton will never overcome Palace.

Personally I aint hurting as much as some, if you want to look at some current form then this years Championship table offers maybe a greater insight into which teams performed better this year.

Maybe it makes last nights loss even more frustrating for some, but play offs do not always offer up the best teams for progression, thats why they are so exciting ( exasperating ), otherwise just promote the top 3 and get on with it.

We can then gloat that we finished above Palace and are therefore superior to them and the OP can calm down a bit.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
They're a bigger and better club than us, as much as I hate to say it. We might have 20,000 plastic supporters to fill our stadium at the moment, but when their enthusiasm fizzles out we will have nothing over Palace. I actually hope they go up now just so we don't have to go through two more humiliations next season.

We smashed them 3-0.

Hardly a humiliation that day.

Oct 11, 2005
London
They're a bigger and better club than us, as much as I hate to say it. We might have 20,000 plastic supporters to fill our stadium at the moment, but when their enthusiasm fizzles out we will have nothing over Palace. I actually hope they go up now just so we don't have to go through two more humiliations next season.

What are you on about? We beat them 3-0 this season FFS!!!

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted

Why? There is no logic to the above. Brighton are a club in the ascendency and expectations would be that we overtake them over the next few years. Obviously If they go up then the ~£100mm will make a big difference in the short term though.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
If we build sensibly we have the bigger fan base and infrastructure. Therefore well managed, we should be the more successful club.

For me the key is maintaining good financial management and most importantly building a core base of 20000+ committed fans who will sing their hearts out every week like the Palace fans did last night

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here