Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is there a good time for change if it happens

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
morning after the night before - probably best time to post with some degree of detachment! My views on GP have been posted before, he's done a top job here (for which he should rightly be applauded and remembered) but I think and have thought for some time now that he's gone as far as he can take this club and already I go into next season feeling if he stays we will not see much change from the last 2 years - pretty football but far too conservative and way too many points dropped from playing not to lose than playing to try and win. Painful as it is to say, only one team looked like they were willing to take risks and go for the win last night and that was not us - in such a vital, club changing game as that, that 'defensiveness' to me was inexcusable really. I'm also not going to get into all his hints at what he could achieve if backed properly, as far as I am concerned on paper this team was a match for any in the league (possibly Cardiff apart) and TB has backed him more than enough to have done better and more importantly, to not have to put up with constant little digs which whatever way you put it are Gus being critical about resources etc...a good manager should have been able to get this team up.
anyway, 2 questions, (a) should the club be proactive and replace immediately so can be properly set up for a promotion challenge starting August or (b) should the club sit back and wait and see what Gus wants to do? For me I hope the club take the decision out of Gus' hand and replace now because if we go into next season constantly worried Gus will go at first decent offer, and not even his biggest supporters can surely think he will not go at first chance, then we can almost write off the next season as any manager change once the season starts is definitely going to mean disruption and lost points. Also a new manager may (undoubtedly will) want to tinker with way we play (upping the tempo would be a start) and better they pick the players they think can do that than have to try and make the best from those Gus leaves behind.
Big decisions ahead for the owner me thinks!

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
morning after the night before - probably best time to post with some degree of detachment! My views on GP have been posted before, he's done a top job here (for which he should rightly be applauded and remembered) but I think and have thought for some time now that he's gone as far as he can take this club and already I go into next season feeling if he stays we will not see much change from the last 2 years - pretty football but far too conservative and way too many points dropped from playing not to lose than playing to try and win. Painful as it is to say, only one team looked like they were willing to take risks and go for the win last night and that was not us - in such a vital, club changing game as that, that 'defensiveness' to me was inexcusable really. I'm also not going to get into all his hints at what he could achieve if backed properly, as far as I am concerned on paper this team was a match for any in the league (possibly Cardiff apart) and TB has backed him more than enough to have done better and more importantly, to not have to put up with constant little digs which whatever way you put it are Gus being critical about resources etc...a good manager should have been able to get this team up.
anyway, 2 questions, (a) should the club be proactive and replace immediately so can be properly set up for a promotion challenge starting August or (b) should the club sit back and wait and see what Gus wants to do? For me I hope the club take the decision out of Gus' hand and replace now because if we go into next season constantly worried Gus will go at first decent offer, and not even his biggest supporters can surely think he will not go at first chance, then we can almost write off the next season as any manager change once the season starts is definitely going to mean disruption and lost points. Also a new manager may (undoubtedly will) want to tinker with way we play (upping the tempo would be a start) and better they pick the players they think can do that than have to try and make the best from those Gus leaves behind.
Big decisions ahead for the owner me thinks!

I think you are right in many way and like you I feel that he does come across as ungrateful at times. He has been linked and flirted with other clubs all season. I think meeting with Reading and the recent comments about Leeds Utd and now this outburst is a mixture of naivety and frustration but all the same its out of order. I personally think he should try and persuade TB to give him the budget he thinks he needs and see out for another season. I was gutted last night and as much as it hurts still today we are into our 2nd year in the championship holding our own which is a great achievement in itself. This said if Gus Poyet does decide to walk there will be plenty of top top managers waiting to take over a great club who are are definitely going in the right direction. On another note, If we cant beat a Palace team like that in a pressure game what hope would we have had v Man Utd or Chelsea in similar pressure games next season. I think its for the best we go again in the championship next season. Lastly massive respect to our fans last night it was electric in there at times even those who left early!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here