Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Such a tight tie - the ref

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm actually just hoping the referee tonight is as good as Michael Oliver was on Friday night. I don't think it's been commented on, but I thought he was excellent. High stakes and a big rivalry game, and it was played in good spirits, partly down to good refereeing I reckon.

Mark Clatternburg next up isn't it? What is the general concensus on his competence? I honestly don't know much about refs at that level.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It shows you how bad referees are generally when everyone' so positive about a ref who on Friday missed three clear elbows and booked Calderon for such a soft foul. He also gave a joke of penalty yesterday

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm actually just hoping the referee tonight is as good as Michael Oliver was on Friday night. I don't think it's been commented on, but I thought he was excellent.
It was commented on in the match thread, he was good. He wasn't so great last night though.

Mark Clatternburg next up isn't it? What is the general concensus on his competence? I honestly don't know much about refs at that level.
He's a premier league ref, so better than what we're used to.

It shows you how bad referees are generally when everyone' so positive about a ref who on Friday missed three clear elbows and booked Calderon for such a soft foul. He also gave a joke of penalty yesterday
I thought Inigo's yellow was harsh at the time, but after seeing the replay I think it was fair. Jedinak's elbow should've been sent off though (the one on Kuszczak was difficult to see, the others weren't).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It seemed that Oliver decided to keep his cards in his pocket for the first half of the game, which was sensible.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It seemed that Oliver decided to keep his cards in his pocket for the first half of the game, which was sensible.

I agree with that to some extent, but when someone manages to pretty clearly elbow three and not even a yellow card for them it's nonsense

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Hopefully Clattenburg has made a mental note to look out for Jedinak's rogue elbows

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree with that to some extent, but when someone manages to pretty clearly elbow three and not even a yellow card for them it's nonsense

I think Jedinak was lucky/clever in terms of the ref always being the other side of the player, so not really seeing the elbow.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh. I must've missed them too. Mind you, I was absolutely HAMMERED. I had to watch the highlights again this morning as I didn't remember half of the Palace chances. :drink:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I suspect Clattenburg will have watched the first game and will probably be looking out for Jedinak's elbow and also Upson's shirt pulling.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

Finally, somebody else who thought he was a bit shit. In an attempt to let the game flow he ended up allowing Palarse to kick (or elbow) lumps out of us. On another day Jedinak would have been watching from the stands before half time. Ihope tonight's is a bit tougher.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Michael Oliver was the ref for the Watford-Leicester game yesterday, and also for the Brentford-Doncaster match, with the near identical final minute drama. Spooky.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not applying the rules of the game, no matter how long the match has been played for, is not sensible.
No, but there are plenty of decisions that may or may not draw a card, depending on the discretion of the ref - persistent shirt pulling, for example. However, I guess elbows to the head are not one of these decisions. Can't comment on this though, because as I said, I didn't spot them myself!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not applying the rules of the game, no matter how long the match has been played for, is not sensible.

I think you need to use common sense in special situation games, i.e. playoff finals, world cup finals. This ISN'T a regular game, so it would not be using common sense to treat it as such.

Dec 29, 2011
Oliver missed two shirt pullings from us which could have been a penalty, and three elbows from Jedinak which could have resulted in a red. Apart from that, he was good.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Thought he did ok on Friday. But the nearside linesman (in front of the Albion fans) was atrocious. Missed so much or had been told not to flag and leave it to Oliver.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oliver missed two shirt pullings from us which could have been a penalty, and three elbows from Jedinak which could have resulted in a red. Apart from that, he was good.
No chance. It's on the SW highlights and there is no way on earth they were penalties. Correct call from the ref. The commentator was talking about it being a good case and I watched it three times and still couldn't see what the fuss was about.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Jedinak got away with breaking Orlandi's ribs in December with his elbow too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here