Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Private Parking fines

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I know this subject has been covered loads on here but i thought i'd get the most up to date info.

I have recieved a letter informing me i have been fined £50 by a company called CP Plus.

About 6 weeks ago i stopped at Toddington services for a sleep as i was feeling tired and don't like driving when tired. It was about 1am and i left about 5am. Unbeknown to me the maximum time allowed parking free of charge is 2hrs and they have ANPR cameras on the entrance and exit.

What is worrying me more is that i have stopped off here for a snooze 4 more times since. So i guess i have 4 more of these fines about to drop through my post box.

I can honestly say that i knew nothing about the parking restrictions at the time and was more interested in getting off the motorway and sleep to think about time restrictions. Now i know the score i will go back to lay-by's which always feel unsafe.

My question is: Can i ignore them or do i have to pay it? (and the 4 others that i'm sure will arrive soon). i'm sure i've read on here people saying that unless it is a council parking fine, they are un-enforcable and the advice has always been to ignore them. Is this correct?

Edit: I am not one of these people who cant admitt to doing wrong and try to get out of things. If i'd been caught speeding i'd pay up. If i'd been caught outside churchill square in a disabled bay, i'd pay up.

My annoyance here is that this fine was between the hourse of 1am-5am. The car park was empty and i was not depriving anyone of a parking space. I was also following the guidance issued by the over head signs telling me to "Take a break when tired". In doing so i have got an annoying fine and possibly 4 more on the way.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You'll be fine, horses are exempt

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Ignore the letters, it's a private company. They will send 3 or 4 letters with the last threatening baliffs and court action which they will never follow up. Don't respond in anyway and they will give up on it. Happened to me about a year ago.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
A post I've found on an RAC forum:

Ignore everything. Do not pay it. It is a scam. The "ticket" was given by a private parking company (PPC). These "tickets" are unenforceable. You only have to pay one if it is given at a council car park, or by a police officer. In NO other circumstances is the ticket enforceable.

DO NOT pay.
DO NOT reply in any way to the company.
IGNORE all correspondence.

Usually they will send you a few more letters, with increasing menace and desperation, then all communication will stop.

They know they can't take you to court. These PPCs make a profit on 80% of people paying straightaway out of fear, without realising they don't have to.

This applies to all PPCs - Athena, Excel, Europarking, CP Plus, the list goes on...

Check PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice and http://www.consumeractiongroup.com/forum for more details. If Watcher comes on here, he will back this up.

The signs in supermarket/service station car parks are meaningless in law. It is basic contract law - if you overstay on private property, you owe them damages for breach of contract, the breach is by how long you have overstayed. E.g. if a car park is £1 an hour and you overstay by half an hour, then the most they can claim is 50p, not the £80 they tell you. This is why they never take anyone to court and just rely on threatening leters full of lies.

Think of it this way - their car park is to them what your driveway is to you. If someone parks on your driveway, it is rude and annoying, but you cannot fine them, and any signs you put up have no basis in law. The same goes for PPCs.

As the car park you stayed in was free, then you owe them no damages, as they made no loss.

Ignore the ticket and all further correspondence. Do not bother appealing, it is not a real appeals process, they just automatically reject all 'appeals' and send them straight back.

They are NOT the police, the courts or the local authority - they can't just fine people.

Next time you to Morrisons, don't worry about being back in 2 hours, because any ticket they give you is meaningless, it's just an invoice for a service you didn't order, and you have no legal obligation to pay it. Don't get conned.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My annoyance here is that this fine was between the hourse of 1am-5am. The car park was empty and i was not depriving anyone of a parking space. I was also following the guidance issued by the over head signs telling me to "Take a break when tired". In doing so i have got an annoying fine and possibly 4 more on the way.

i was thinking this. what should be done is writing to the highways agency and MP to point out the idiocy of this contradiction. they shouldnt be allow to threaten people with fines when we are advised to take breaks.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Throw letter in bin. Open can of lager. Forget.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know this subject has been covered loads on here but i thought i'd get the most up to date info.

I have recieved a letter informing me i have been fined £50 by a company called CP Plus.

About 6 weeks ago i stopped at Toddington services for a sleep as i was feeling tired and don't like driving when tired. It was about 1am and i left about 5am. Unbeknown to me the maximum time allowed parking free of charge is 2hrs and they have ANPR cameras on the entrance and exit.

What is worrying me more is that i have stopped off here for a snooze 4 more times since. So i guess i have 4 more of these fines about to drop through my post box.

I can honestly say that i knew nothing about the parking restrictions at the time and was more interested in getting off the motorway and sleep to think about time restrictions. Now i know the score i will go back to lay-by's which always feel unsafe.

My question is: Can i ignore them or do i have to pay it? (and the 4 others that i'm sure will arrive soon). i'm sure i've read on here people saying that unless it is a council parking fine, they are un-enforcable and the advice has always been to ignore them. Is this correct?

Edit: I am not one of these people who cant admitt to doing wrong and try to get out of things. If i'd been caught speeding i'd pay up. If i'd been caught outside churchill square in a disabled bay, i'd pay up.

A. IT'S NOT A FINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B. Appeal - use what ever you want as the reason for your appeal to CP Plus. If they reject it then appeal to POPLA but get advice from Money Saving Expert or Peppipo.

The killer appeal at POPLA is that you don't believe that the PPC have a contract that allows them to charge for parking charges.

DO NOT PAY THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade

Calm down, you haven't been fined at all. CP Plus are well-known as a company that issues fake PCNs. here are loads of threads online about their little scam in Moto/Services.

Let me google that for you

That should load automatically to show you how common this is - but the latest advice is NOT to ignore these fake PCNs (unless in Scotland/NI or if it's a non-BPA member. CP Plus are members).

My question is: Can i ignore them or do i have to pay it?

Yes you could ignore all the threatogram letters, but it's not the latest advice for various reasons. No of course you don't even think about paying these fake PCNs!

Here's my usual advice to newbies on the MSE parking forum:

Ticket Completeness - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

I think that explains among other things, a bit about using POPLA as the second stage appeal, to win (if you get the wording right).

Do send me a pm if you like, to discuss your appeal wording.

If this was me I would wait for all the Notices to arrive (and make a point of keeping all the envelopes if the posting dates are different from the dates on the Notices).

Then when you've got them all but are still within the 28 days to appeal for all of them, just do one letter appealing them all but demanding 5 POPLA 'verification codes' which will cost CP Plus £27 a pop! And they can't pass the cost onto you...and if you win at POPLA (with help with that wording, you should do) they have to cancel them. Even losing at POPLA isn't binding on the motorist but still costs the scumbag parking firms £27 plus VAT every time!

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
exact same happened to me a while back, driving late at night, followed advice to take a break at a service station

since:
a) I knew full well where I stood and
b) I felt I was morally in the right

I just ignored all correspondence until they went away. No problem

Privatization of public services eh - see where it leads!
Greed is not good.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This information seems a bit conflicting.
We all recognise now from your previous posting that these are not fines (fake PCN) but an invoice with an invitation to pay, this is how you previously described them and in the past you have said to ignore them and not to enter into any correspondence or dialogue with them.
But this latest advise you give is to not ignore them ?? what has changed since this was last discussed on these boards?

Also you now seem less confident as to a positive outcome for the OP.
...and if you win at POPLA (with help with that wording, you should do) they have to cancel them. Even losing at POPLA

Has the balance of the law now falling towards the parking companies? as previously you were adamant that there was no basis in law in that they could ever win if it ever goes to court.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
We all recognise now from your previous posting that these are not fines (fake PCN) but an invoice with an invitation to pay, this is how you previously described them and in the past you have said to ignore them and not to enter into any correspondence or dialogue with them.
But this latest advise you give is to not ignore them ?? what has changed since this was last discussed on these boards?

...and if you win at POPLA (with help with that wording, you should do) they have to cancel them. Even losing at POPLA

Has the balance of the law now falling towards the parking companies? as previously you were adamant that there was no basis in law in that they could ever win if it ever goes to court.

:fishing:

But just in case you're not :

1. POPLA costs the PPC £32.
2. If the motorist wins then it's binding on the PPC.
3. If the PPC win then it's NOT binding on the motorist.
4. The invoices still hold the complete lack of legality that they previously did.

SO in short appealing will help the PPC scum go out of business.

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

I've been wondering, do you work part-time for a private parking company?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
:fishing:

But just in case you're not :

1. POPLA costs the PPC £32.
2. If the motorist wins then it's binding on the PPC.
3. If the PPC win then it's NOT binding on the motorist.
4. The invoices still hold the complete lack of legality that they previously did.

SO in short appealing will help the PPC scum go out of business.

Get it now, by appealing it actually cost them money, i'm good with that.
but previously it was drummed into us they cannot win as all they can claim is losses, ie if £1 an hour and you overstay by 2 hours they can only claim £2 for which is not worth there while taking to court and it all to do with intimidation.

but.............. even you have written" If the motorist wins" Before it seemed clear cut, they could not win, but now it as if its not so certain, this is why i was asking if something had changed?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Get it now, by appealing it actually cost them money, i'm good with that.
but previously it was drummed into us they cannot win as all they can claim is losses, ie if £1 an hour and you overstay by 2 hours they can only claim £2 for which is not worth there while taking to court and it all to do with intimidation.

but.............. even you have written" If the motorist wins" Before it seemed clear cut, they could not win, but now it as if its not so certain, this is why i was asking if something had changed?

POPLA is funded by the PPCs ( it's NOT independent ! ). A badly worded appeal will see POPLA find in favour of the PPC. If the PPC goes to court then the usual barriers to legality still stand as they always did. All POPLA really means is that the PPC have to pay money to even consider court.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here