Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Open Letter to NSC - re: Palace Trolls

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Dear NSC,

I often wonder why the good, decent Albion-supporting faithful on this forum engage with the idiot Palace wind-up merchants that come here to agitate, inflame and irritate? While I do acknowledge that fans of other clubs can provide a robust platform for debate, this rarely happens and in my albeit short time on NSC, all I have witnessed are slurs, insults and ad hominem attacks against the city,club and supporters of BHAFC. These (typically CPFC) posters have nothing to add to the discussions on NSC and are only here to wind people up. Why put up with it? People have come to NSC out of interest for their local club, to share thoughts, ideas, concerns, stories and for a general sense of community and not to be harassed by idiots from other clubs.

Fortunately there is a solution to this. These forums have within them the ability to block posts and comments from certain individuals. The Ignore User function is there for a purpose. My suggestion to NSC is to utilise it to the fullest extent. Trolls and posters of that ilk (CPFC) are looking for an audience. The best way to deal with them is to not give them the platform they are desperately seeking.

Granted that I am new to NSC, but I am unfortunately all-too familiar with the types to imbeciles that go on to opposition fan forums and hurl abuse. There are already a number of Palace "supporters" on my burgeoning Ignore User list. It is a cathartic process to remove any and all reference to them and their inane prattle. As a result, my experience on NSC has improved commensurately.

Just a thought experiment, nothing more, nothing less.

Yours truly,

Dr NBC

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Or just create an Away Fans section, then those who want an argument can go in, and those who aren't interested don't have to see it.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
I will accept that I am a pejoratively-termed "JCL" to North Stand Chat, yes, that is true. I hope the implication is not that I am a "JCL" fan of Brighton. Granted I've only been in the UK since 2006, but that is the year I went to my first match at the Withdean. I got tickets from the FDM. What a legend.

Oh and if you must, I'd prefer Dr JCL. Thanks. :D

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There's plenty of apparent Brighton trolls on here too, they're more annoying than the Palace ones.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Or just create an Away Fans section, then those who want an argument can go in, and those who aren't interested don't have to see it.

Which is of course the correct answer. However as thats never going to happen im doing the stay off nsc and just ignore it in the build up to any palace game.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Which is of course the correct answer. However as thats never going to happen im doing the stay off nsc and just ignore it in the build up to any palace game.

So is it worse prior to Palace games? My experience with other forums (Calgary Flames - NHL) is that oppo fans are always on there trying to wind people up, regardless if they are playing one another.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Dear NSC,

I often wonder why the good, decent Albion-supporting faithful on this forum engage with the idiot Palace wind-up merchants that come here to agitate, inflame and irritate? While I do acknowledge that fans of other clubs can provide a robust platform for debate, this rarely happens and in my albeit short time on NSC, all I have witnessed are slurs, insults and ad hominem attacks against the city,club and supporters of BHAFC. These (typically CPFC) posters have nothing to add to the discussions on NSC and are only here to wind people up. Why put up with it? People have come to NSC out of interest for their local club, to share thoughts, ideas, concerns, stories and for a general sense of community and not to be harassed by idiots from other clubs.

Fortunately there is a solution to this. These forums have within them the ability to block posts and comments from certain individuals. The Ignore User function is there for a purpose. My suggestion to NSC is to utilise it to the fullest extent. Trolls and posters of that ilk (CPFC) are looking for an audience. The best way to deal with them is to not give them the platform they are desperately seeking.

Granted that I am new to NSC, but I am unfortunately all-too familiar with the types to imbeciles that go on to opposition fan forums and hurl abuse. There are already a number of Palace "supporters" on my burgeoning Ignore User list. It is a cathartic process to remove any and all reference to them and their inane prattle. As a result, my experience on NSC has improved commensurately.

Yours truly,

Dr NBC

If only. It doesn't work because it doesn't allow you to ignore quoted posts, and so once quoted the Palace drivel is always visible.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Disagree - the mix should stay. Those that don't want an argument could instead just close the thread and read another one.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Dear NSC,

Yours truly,

Dr NBC

I have to say I don't really recognise the forum you paint here. There are a few wind-up merchants but nothing to make me that upset. Anything too horrific soon gets removed anyway

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
^ Fair enough. I guess what the larger issue for me is a question of "why?" The logical and pragmatic answer is that there is no answer. But that is probably my failing here as you cannot apply logic and pragmatism to such an unusual issue as trolling has become.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Dear NSC,

Yours truly,

Dr NBC

Thank you so much for your advice. Will you be posting stain removal tips next week?

Good god.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why are people so bloody precious?

If you get wound up by trolls, simples......we all know who they are...don't read their posts.

The Internet is full of trolls on whatever site you visit.

If you want to see some vitriolic posts, go on to Cruises, Cruise Deals and Cheap Cruises, Cruise Reviews and Videos and look at the responses to people who criticise a particular cruise they have just come back from...most particularly P&O cruises. Some of those are very personal.

At least on here all you get is name calling ...on there people report them to the cruise lines direct and try to get them banned from certain ships....it's rediculous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here