Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think that Gus will start with Barnes a start tomorrow?

Will Gus give Barnes a start tomorrow?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Or will he prefer the more natural midfielder Hammond?

Starting with Barnes, IMO, would give us a more attacking bias, whereas Hammond is generally pretty solid in midfield and didn't really do anything wrong. I wouldn't hold him responsible for our miss of the game on Friday as Speroni made a fantastic if reflex save from his powerful and on target header.

Personally hope Barnes does start as he gives us better options up front and seems to be striking up a decent understanding with Ulloa

Will Gus go for the slightly more defensive player or the one who could help create the early goal that would be the perfect start for us?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I don't want to see both strikers on the pitch from the start in case it goes into extra time.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Could a mod change the thread title to "Will Gus start with Barnes tomorrow"please :rolleyes:

Last edited:

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
I would certainly hope so, since his 7 game ban, Barnes looks hungry and maybe not have missed the chances on Friday if he was playing.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Barnes has looked good in most games since his return, but as someone has said earlier in the thread, if we start both Ulloa and Barnes we have no options on the bench. Gus has said Barker won't play, so I'd be very surprised if Barnes starts.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I have voted "Yes and I'd agree", mainly because we need to get a couple of early goals to calm the nerves. As well as the team played on Friday, there was that essential ingredient missing to get us to Wembley. I loved seeing the the blue and white of Wigan fans at Wembley yesterday and want to repeat that with our fans being there.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We look more defensive when Barnes starts on the left or right so I hope not.

Used to agree but did you go to the Leeds game? He was pushed very high up the pitch for long periods of the game despite Painter playing at left back.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
My thoughts exactly.

I would like to see Kaz start (Buckley on the other side) and try to keep their full backs from coming forward too often.
They have Philips a 39 y. o. forward...we have one of the biggest pitches in the league....let's tire them out by the passing game then bring on Kaz to rip them apart...their defence is the weakest part of the team...

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
I dont think he will, i would say bring Barnes on with about 15-20 minutes to go, hopefully by then the Palace defenders will start to get tired so then he could maybe nick a goal or 2 but hopefully by then we will already have the tie won :)

My team for tomoz

Kuszczak
Calderon - Greer - Upson - Bridge
Bridcutt
Lopez - Orlandi
Buckley - Ulloa - LuaLua

Subs
Ankergren, El-Abd, Painter, Hammond, Crofts, Vicente, Barnes

If i remember rightly that was the starting 11 for the game here back in March so why not use what you know can rip them apart

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No, I don't think he will. In my view, we will either be unchanged from Friday or, if he really wants to go all out attack, LuaLua will come in for Orlandi or Hammond.

As said elsewhere, Barnes is needed for back up to Ulloa, especially as we could play 120 minutes and I doubt Ulloa will last that long given the work he puts in and that it is only 3 days since the first leg. If we have to take Ulloa off, we need a fresh Barnes to come on up front.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Kaz is certainly an option if we are really going to go for it but I'd worry that his defensive play isn't as good as Barnes.

Whatever, it is a great position for Gus to be in as any one of Hammond, Barnes or Kaz is a good option. He may even spring Vicente from the off, but that may be a bit too cavalier given the importance of the game?

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
They have Philips a 39 y. o. forward...we have one of the biggest pitches in the league....let's tire them out by the passing game then bring on Kaz to rip them apart...their defence is the weakest part of the team...

Whatever the line-up tomorrow I am confident we can dominate the posession. Not many teams this season have been able to stop us playing for 90 mins whilst offering a decent threat up front. Keep the ball away from Philips and we should be ok.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Kaz is certainly an option if we are really going to go for it but I'd worry that his defensive play isn't as good as Barnes.

Whatever, it is a great position for Gus to be in as any one of Hammond, Barnes or Kaz is a good option. He may even spring Vicente from the off, but that may be a bit too cavalier given the importance of the game?

That is one of the key things we have built up over the last couple of seasons. Rather than just a great first 11, we have options on the bench that can change a game. Whoever starts tomorrow, there will be attacking options on the bench who can come on and change the game if needed and that might be the difference in a tight game. If it is still 0-0 after an hour, the sight of LuaLua and Vicente coming on would lift the crowd. I'm not sure Palace have options like that (although will probably come to regret that).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here