Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansea & Wigan

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
What does it tell us about the Premier League that these two clubs won the 2 major domestic trophies this season?

Is the premier league more balanced than ever?
Is it the weakest its ever been?
Are there still distinct tiers within the league itself?

I think these clubs winning this year is very significant, rather than the same old "top 4" clubs winning everything.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It tells you that if you play with a good footballing philosophy and have a top class manager, success will come sooner or later.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It says more about the FA Cup and the League Cup than the Premier League. Take a look at who are the top five clubs in the Premier League.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
IMO, It says that Swansea and Wigan hold the FA / League cup in higher esteem than the big 5 as it's their best chance of silverware.
Although i'm sure ManU / Man C / Arse / Chelski / Spurs want to win the domestic cups, the Champions League and the EPL title are more coveted

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Wigan get relegated 'because of the cup', what it tells me is within a couple of seasons The FA cup final will be played by 2 Championship teams.

What happens when those 2 Championship teams fail to get promoted 'because of the cup'.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMO, It says that Swansea and Wigan hold the FA cup in higher esteem than the big 5.
Although i'm sure ManU / Man C / Arse / Chelski / Spurs want to win the domestic cups, the Champions League and the EPL title are more coveted

And Spuds achieve none. :lol:

Perhaps they should try harder in cups to give their players a chance of medals to covet, and fans a chance of glory, rather than fixating about one day getting to the CL and £££££.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
How hard were the games each team faced? United and arsenal tend to use the league cup to blood youngsters, and the top 4 tend to focus on Europe!

Are you suggesting that Wigan DIDN'T have a tough run through? Vs Bournemouth, Macclesfield, Millwall and 5 minutes vs Everton...

I bet the 200 who went to the replay at Bournemouth are looking forward to going back in the league next season.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
People will say "Ah but the Big Five are more interested in Europe". They probably are, Arsenal love finishing 2nd 3rd or 4th in the League every year as opposed to winning a trophy once in a while, but yesterday was Man City's only chance to win silverware this season - and they blew it. They can't even use the "well the league is more important" excuse as they've already qualified for the Champions' League so their remaining League matches are meaningless. (As were some of their preceeding ones).

What Wigan and Swansea's triumphs mean is that in a one-off game anyone can win and any half-decent side has a chance of winning a Cup. That includes us. Football's a glory game, it's not all about the money and you can't put ten million quid in the trophy cabinet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd rather Brighton won the FA cup than got promoted.
I make no secret of hating the Premier League and all it stands for.

But being this close, and having palace standing in the way, does make it hard to not want the big one.
Even though I might not be able to afford my S/T, and won't be able to go to Saturday 12:45 kick offs.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think what it means is that there's still some hope for football. The very biggest clubs may see the Cups as second rate and that's the view that gets reflected by their fans and dominate the media. But try telling a Wigan or Swansea supporter that it wasn't one of the best days of their life. It gives the rest the opportunity to actually win something and, as long as the biggest clubs take the latter stages seriously, then it's still worthwhile. For a club of City's resources to lose a Cup Final even with a reshuffled team would be poor. To lose it with their top side is an embarrassment. And that's what the Cups are all about - showing that every dog can have his day.

The media and the plastics can mock them as much as they like but I'll take any one of the League, FA or Europa Cups please!

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
Its the magic of the cup! the story of an underdog winning is always good, its nice to see new names on the trophy than the normal ones, hopefully one day that will be us!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Didn't stop some of our 'faithful' giving the FA Cup match a swerve because the Toon were not big enough to bother watching.

I know it was a 12:30 kickoff but I was shocked at the 22k attendance, I thought there would be 25,000 at the very least

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here