Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cup Final - Abide With Me

Wally Gould

Jul 10, 2011
What a terrible way to sing the most famous Cup Final song. Why can't they just sing it the way the fans know it in the traditional way. All this key changing spoils it. :tantrum:

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
I didn't think it was possible for the FA to ruin the FA Cup any more - but I was wrong. They looked at it and said "Well we've already successfully down-graded it in the eyes of fans so that it's about on a par with the League Cup, we've cheapened the final by playing the semi-finals at Wembley, it's no longer the traditional end-of-season showpiece with a traditional three o'clock kick-off, what more can we do? I know, lets try and kill the last great Cup tradition, the singing of 'Abide With Me', by getting some operatic singers to completely mangle it."

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
It was bad enough having just one opera singer spoiling the national anthem and Abide with me at wembley finals this year they chose to have 4 opera singers completely drowning out any crowd participation, modern football is rubbish ( at times )

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
I didn't think it was possible for the FA to ruin the FA Cup any more - but I was wrong. They looked at it and said "Well we've already successfully down-graded it in the eyes of fans so that it's about on a par with the League Cup, we've cheapened the final by playing the semi-finals at Wembley, it's no longer the traditional end-of-season showpiece with a traditional three o'clock kick-off, what more can we do? I know, lets try and kill the last great Cup tradition, the singing of 'Abide With Me', by getting some operatic singers to completely mangle it."

Well put, saved me writing it.

The FA has been run like a Sunday league pub team for years and years. Whilst they were sitting in their swanky offices, whistfully looking out onto Soho Square, Spain and Germany (amongst others) were implimenting a strategy to develop the national game from top to bottom, the fruits of which are now self evident. The FA as an organisation is an embarassment to the football fans of this country.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
You thought it sounded bad on the telly,it sounded absolutely diabolical at wembley,the acoustic's there are some of the worst I've experienced.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Get ready to be assaulted by the curse of modern football if we make it to Wembley. The PA there is so loud it's pretty much impossible to hear the person next to you, let alone the crowd. And then within seconds of the final whistle yesterday you have some moron shouting X factor style "THE WINNERS... OF THE 2013 FAAAA CUUUUPPP... WIGAAAAAAANNN AAATTTHHHLLEETTTIIICCCCC!!!"

It just drowns out all the natural emotion. Hate it. Like at Cardiff when they played music as the players celebrate afterwards. Ok, Sussex by the Sea might be okay at a reasonable volume but I think we might just be singing at that point anyway without the need for 'encouragement'?!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
And another thing (sorry) but in a way I found that over-the-top announcement at that point so disrespectful to the City fans. It's great that Wigan won and they have plenty of time to celebrate but that's really rubbing it in. It's like some bloke in a suit who's probably watched rugby all his life thinks the City fans are going to join in the party atmosphere when they're just gutted. I think a lot of real fans would applaud Wigan anyway after a shock like that so there's really no need to rub their noses in it. Save that sort of crap, if it has to happen at all, for when the trophy's on the pitch. That's their moment.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Spot On. Couldn't have put it better.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

A damning indictment of the very highest order. There is nothing more to add (well, until they destroy it even more next year).

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London
What I don't understand is, who actually thinks it it better like this? Because somebody must. But 100% of people I've ever spoken to about it hate it.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It just seems to me that the powers that be are so removed from the people and the game they choose to serve it beggers belief. They do it in rugby too, Twickenham, 82000 fans, 80% men, and we get a soprano singing the anthem, madness. I think its time we all stood up to be counted,... maybe a facebook campaign or similar, I for one am writing to the FA and the RFU...... stand up an be counted, its community singing not elitist operatic demonstrations of faux sophistication..... I suspect very few football fans listen to opera.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
What I don't understand is, who actually thinks it it better like this? Because somebody must. But 100% of people I've ever spoken to about it hate it.

I would assume that people in high paid jobs within the FA have to be seen to do something, anything. If they don't change things, what are they there for - I've had managers like that, change things for the sake of doing something

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here