Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cup Final Saturday and the FA plus Manure degrade it more

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Time was when it was the pinnacle of the season and a fitting finale. Now the FA have it at 5.15 and Manure announce Ferguson is retiring the same week as the final. If I was EON I would be fuming and demand an explanation. Why couldn't Manure delay Taggart's retirement announcement till this Monday or even tomorrow's match against Swansea?
Pathetic from Manure; remember when they declined to participate because of the World Club Championship thing?

Yet none of the 'in fright' media even mention it.

The older I get the more I detest the moral desert that is Manchester United.

TNBA

TTF

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
"The same week"?

Blimey, just how much time do you think the FA Cup final deserves to be clear of other news articles from? A fortnight? A month? Jeez. I'm already bored of all the Fergie stuff, I really don't care, but do I think it's had any impact whatsoever on the already ruined FA Cup final? Not a bit of it.

Ridiculous. If they'd announced it an hour before kick off, you might have had a point, but in the same WEEK?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The FA cup used to be the FA,s cash cow. Once the Premier League was formed and the dosh piled up the FA cup was pushed aside. At least us oldies can remember the good old days.

And a side getting to the final AND being relegated ?

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Time was when it was the pinnacle of the season and a fitting finale. Now the FA have it at 5.15 and Manure announce Ferguson is retiring the same week as the final. If I was EON I would be fuming and demand an explanation. Why couldn't Manure delay Taggart's retirement announcement till this Monday or even tomorrow's match against Swansea?
Pathetic from Manure; remember when they declined to participate because of the World Club Championship thing?

TNBA

TTF

1) Eon don't sponsor it, Budweiser do.

2) What has Fergie retiring got to do with the FA Cup final?? Why should he have to wait? What a load of bollocks you spout!

3) I think with the World Club Championship, they were made to go by the FA....

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
How have the FA 'degraded' their own competition?

Personally I haven't thought about it much and kinda forgot it was on, but not because Sir Alex retired, because we have had something slightly more important to us going on this weekend!!!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I am a little miffed as to why Man United have to stall on anything they are doing or announcing because of an FA Cup Final.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
the F.A cup final is officially a pile of ****, the football season hasnt even finished and theyre playing it! what a load of crap

plus, fergie can do what he wants, he's more important than the F.A.....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I am a little miffed as to why Man United have to stall on anything they are doing or announcing because of an FA Cup Final.

Excuse me! It's the FA Cup Final sponsored by Budweiser. We have to protect the commercial interests in this thread.

You have not been charged for this information.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

TNBA

TTF

Perhaps they should have delayed it because of the upcoming Champions League final too. Oh and the football league play-offs. What were Man Utd thinking?!?!?
Clearly a poor fishing attempt from the OP. If not, one of the stupidest threads I have ever read on NSC.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Excuse me! It's the FA Cup Final sponsored by Budweiser. We have to protect the commercial interests in this thread.

You have not been charged for this information.

:) I need to make you aware i am not legally obliged to mention the Sponsor whatsoever :)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Interesting responses to the OP's point. However, up here in the North West it's been taken slightly differently. Man City fans are pissed off that the announcement this week has meant that all the talk has been about him rather than City in the Cup Final. So, maybe not demeaning to the FA Cup final itself - but certainly feels as though it was deliberate. First take the Premier League title away from City, then overshadow their chance of a trophy..... Sounds like Sir Alex has won the mind games to the very end....

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
At first glance, I thought the OP was just talking rubbish. However, Man U also announced Cantona's retirement on FA Cup Final day in 1997, meaning that the headlines the following day were all about them, rather than Chelsea beating Middlesborough....

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia

TNBA

TTF

So you are suggesting they should have delayed their announcement until after their last home match of the season, thereby denying their fans the opportunity to show their appreciation to the most successful manager in the history of the English game. Thinking things through clearly isn't your strong point is it?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I've heard NASA have delayed an announcement till tomorrow morning about sending a new Apollo mission to the moon they thought it wise not to mention it all this week as not to take the limelight away from this years FA cup final

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Just to show you how far the FA Cup's importance has declined, I'm watching Match of the day now and apparently it was Aston Villa vs Chelsea

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think the FA Cup was something special in previous years when it was played after the season had finished. For me the excitement of our playoffs has overshadowed anything happening in the cup and it therefore has almost gone by unnoticed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here