Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Something different - London in 1927

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Nice video, in colour too

[video]http://www.likecool.com/Fascinating_Early_Color_Footag e_Shows_London_in--Video--Gear.html[/video]

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
[video=vimeo;7638752]http://vimeo.com/7638752[/video]

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Brilliant - and the saddest part -

Little did they (we) realise what (we) they were in for 12 or so years later.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Magnificent. Thank you for sharing.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The tower of London looks very odd without any skyscrapers around it. My grandparents were living in London then - soon to be a bus driver there, and it's interesting to see the world as they would have seen it back then.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I'm with you Gripper. I always feel a little peculiar watching really old footage. My best guess is that it comes from the knowledge that pretty much everybody shown in the piece has passed away.

Agree with both of you. You don't get quite the same sensation with jittery black and white footage.

Anyone remember that documentary, The 3rd Reich in Colour I think it might have been called. Very good, very eerie.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Very enjoyable.
Coincidently, I am going to watch a documentary this afternoon about Hackney in the fifties as part of the Brighton Festival.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I'm glad you did that, I meant to post it yesterday after watching it from Kevin Spacey's twitter feed.

Great stuff.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Incredible footage thanks for sharing, the eeriest thing is that almost every one of the people in the video are dead now and very few can recall that actual period

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Amazing. Thanks for posting!

Seeing so many white faces in flat caps! It's such a different time. Seeing it so beautifully shot and produced is a marvel.

Very evocative - anyone know what the music (particularly the vocal piece at the start) was?

PS registered on site to see if there was any similar footage of Brighton but so far all I have found is more contemporary stuff (admirable in it's own way I am sure) of a more, ahem, "arty" nature.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Wonderful. And wasn't that roughly the last time Palace won a game, too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here