Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's the big day today! When the entire nation stops to watch the FA Cup Final

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What time does 'Cup Final Grandstand' start? I've misplaced my copy of the Radio Times but I am welling up with anticipation about the big build-up, watching reports from the team's hotel and 'It's A Cup Final Knockout.'

Maybe we'll get to hear each team's FA Cup Final song and get to vote for the 'Goal of the Season.'

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing the new tracksuits that each team will be sporting as they walk out of the tunnel and hearing the 100,000 crowd at Wembley all joining in with 'Abide With Me'.

At 3pm, will you be watching the match on TVS or BBC 1?

I hope it's a good open game and that the players don't freeze on undoubtedly the biggest occasion of their careers. Personally, I think it might go to a replay.

Last edited:

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
:lolol:

There's a Festival event at 7pm. this evening that I probably would have gone to instead if it wasn't on tomorrow as well. The FA Cup has lost its magic for me...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not even sure what time KO is to be honest, talk about a competition degraded from former glory

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Fact it's Wigan in it..

I don't care would prefer the big guns

Well, I think that it's good that there's a lower division side in the Cup Final this year. Could be shades of Sunderland in 1973 or West Ham in 1980 when the big boys get turned over.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its almost unnoticed isnt it? ok, so for us yesturday was more important, and there's been a signifcant story in football this week, but just goes to show how not being the final game of the season has devalued the profile of this game.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Wow!, FA Cup day - I must be getting old, or wearing blinkers and earplugs, because it had actually escaped my attention! As a boy, I would have been bouncing off the ceiling, regardless of who was playing.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
Not even sure what time KO is to be honest, talk about a competition degraded from former glory

5:15 PM kick-off, not that I'll be watching it. It's not like it used to be when it was FA Cup on TV all day, both main channels, with cameras on the team coaches as they leave their respective hotels.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Fact it's Wigan in it..

I don't care would prefer the big guns

Great lets see another 'massive' game built up by Sky as life or death between the top five clubs who have a monopoly on those positions.

The point the OP is making (I think) is that the magic of the cup final has all but diminished. Finishing 4th in the Prem is a far bigger achievement now than lifting a trophy at the National stadium.

Like the OP I yearn for the day when the FA cup is elevated back to it's rightful place as the biggest achievement outside of winning the title.

The fact is there is no real buzz around it unlike yesteryear when it was one of the highlights of the sporting calendar.

Even with many of the top sides playing second string sides in the early rounds only a bank rolled Pompey team have broken their strong hold on the competition over the past ten or so years.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
European football in the Champions League and the money from the Premiership mean that the FA Cup has sunk several places below those things in terms of priority for most clubs - to the extent that the majority of clubs in the Premier League and Championship don't care about it as much as the leagues anymore.

Its last bit of real glory was when English teams were banned from Europe at the end of the 1980s, and just before the Premier League started. At least Palace didn't win it then!

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

Yes and the FA should be ashamed for allowing it to happen. Always was and still should be the closure to the season.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The youth of today can have no idea what a special day FA Cup day used to be. Cov v Spurs I was sat in front of the TV almost all day.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Wow!, FA Cup day - I must be getting old, or wearing blinkers and earplugs, because it had actually escaped my attention! As a boy, I would have been bouncing off the ceiling, regardless of who was playing.

Me too.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Such a shame. As a kid I would be watching from an early hour as the teams left their hotels etc. Well done the money men for ruining the beautiful game.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes and the FA should be ashamed for allowing it to happen. Always was and still should be the closure to the season.

Even if you accept that it had to move, they should have done so much more to promote it. I've been watching ssn most of the week (it's my default background noise), even I was surprised just now when they mentioned it was the FA cup final today.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Me and my friends (although we don't remember the glory days of the cup) still make a point of getting together and watching it. I think it's such a shame that what was such a big tournament has been totally degraded by money men. If I was a player, winning the FA cup or at least playing in the final would be incredible.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm gonna be on BBC. Think it starts about 12:00 as I also misplaced my Radio Times. Live from the teams hotels, David Colemans Question of Sport cup final special, meet the managers, Abide With Me and the Cup Final in full. I was working in an off licence back in early 70's (before Tesco et al) and today was busy pre match but come 2pm the high street would be empty. Today WAS the BIG DAY for ALL football fans. But wasn't it the ONLY live game all season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here