Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referee last night

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
I watched the game in the pub last night, and whilst I was totally biased towards the Albion, I though that the ref handled the game very well, to the extent that I think he managed to upset both sets of fans with some of his decisions. At one point very early in the game I thought he was going to book Buckley for wrestling with Jedinak but appeared to change his mind, which given the importance of the game was a brave decision.
What was Kuszack booked for though?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
He approached the game perfectly and let it flow. Whilst palace can moan about the shirt tugging equally we could be talking about 'Jedis' consistent leading with his elbows. I thought he managed the game and occasion perfectly and with a refreshing lack of bookings was a credit to his profession.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
From what I've seen there aren't many better in the premier league, before the Everton game I don't think I'd ever seen him make a really game changing/controversial decision of any note. The Howard Webb love in can't end soon enough imo.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I watched the game in the pub last night, and whilst I was totally biased towards the Albion, I though that the ref handled the game very well, to the extent that I think he managed to upset both sets of fans with some of his decisions. At one point very early in the game I thought he was going to book Buckley for wrestling with Jedinak but appeared to change his mind, which given the importance of the game was a brave decision.
What was Kuszack booked for though?

He got a deliberate elbow just before Murray was injured, and moaned at the ref that nothing was done. He kept on at the ref and was booked for dissent.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Commented on this on another thread - thought he was excellent, discharged any heated moments without throwing cards around and let the game flow without letting it get out of hand, very impressive.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was ok. I really thought Jedinak was lucky to stay on, after his booking for persistent foul play (which came two fouls too late IMO), he continued to lead with his elbows for the rest of the game..

Having now watched the game on TV was surprised he fell for a Zaha dives near the dug-out.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
In the circumstances, I thought he had a very good game. So much better than most of the incompetent officials we've had to endure most weeks this season.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Could easily have booked 4 or 5 players last night. Would it have made the game better, in my opinion no not at all. He laid down the law in a firm way which let players stay on the pitch. Well done that man.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Why was Calderon booked then? Yet Buckley was fouled at least 3-4 times in the 1st half and the palace players get no yellows?

For a silly attempt at a tackle in an area of no danger at all. Changed the game, allowed Holloway to switch Zaha up against Calderon who could no longer risk a second yellow, and you could see the success Zaha had - he had been annonymous before that. Possibly, and we won't know, but without that yellow, we could/should have dominated the second half as well, instead it gave them the impetous to start closing us down quickly. Whereas we could have effectively finished it in the first half, they could possibly have finished two up. Doesn't matter, it's all even and we ought to have a slight advantage on Monday.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Why was Calderon booked then? Yet Buckley was fouled at least 3-4 times in the 1st half and the palace players get no yellows?

Quite frankly, Calderon has no defence for his yellow.

The referee was absolutely spot on. Brilliant performance, and that's his standard. Top ref.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Got to wonder if Zaha will start on our right on Monday. He's clearly not up to Bridge's quality, but he gave Calde a torrid time. United have hugely overpaid for him, I'm pleased to say. I was a bit surprised at the start that he didn't start on Calde's side, and that we hadn't played Barnes in front of Calderon for exactly that reason, to give him a bit of protection.

I'd agree on the ref, overall - I think we were probably all worried about them getting a penalty or us having another red, but it never really felt like either was going to happen to be honest.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here