Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradford city

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
56 people went to a football match at Bradford, 28 years ago today and never returned home ...

There is a video online of the fire starting and whole stand becoming engulfed. People on fire on the pitch. Very moving to watch.

RIP ... never forgotten.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
A very sobering day never to be forgotten. There seemed no danger at first as we watched live. Since then I've never taken the danger of fire lightly.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
You need to show some respect, families have always asked for the footage not to be put up online.

footage of the fire (banned by YTV for broadcast with the exception of fire safety training) appearing in the US TV show ‘When Good Times Go Bad’ even more shamefully narrated as a result of hooliganism. Fans in recent years have also battled to have the footage removed from YouTube, and a reference in an American research paper which sites a petrol bomb as the trigger, to be withdrawn and an apology offered.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You need to show some respect, families have always asked for the footage not to be put up online.

footage of the fire (banned by YTV for broadcast with the exception of fire safety training) appearing in the US TV show ‘When Good Times Go Bad’ even more shamefully narrated as a result of hooliganism. Fans in recent years have also battled to have the footage removed from YouTube, and a reference in an American research paper which sites a petrol bomb as the trigger, to be withdrawn and an apology offered.

I had no idea. I would edit my post, but too late. Maybe a mod would be kind enough to do so.

The first time I ever saw footage of the fire was at a Wembley training day. I had no idea about the tragedy before then.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't honestly see the opposition to having the video online. It is important that people see it - there's no need to hide history. That was a tragedy, and it won't ever happen again but why hide it? There's no shame in what happened that day.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I don't honestly see the opposition to having the video online. It is important that people see it - there's no need to hide history. That was a tragedy, and it won't ever happen again but why hide it? There's no shame in what happened that day.

So you'd be comfortable seeing a graphic video of one of your loved ones burning to death?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So you'd be comfortable seeing a graphic video of one of your loved ones burning to death?

Have you seen the video? You can't see anyone clearly enough for it to be offensive.

What's next? Banning of 9/11 videos for the same reason? There's nothing to hide.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
A great tragedy, I have had the "advantage?" of knowing a spectator who escaped from the fire and heard his story. He still bears the burn scars. Also a former colleague was in charge of the first fire engine that arrived at the ground and learned from him the problems they faced in dealing with the incident. As an ex firefighter I am glad I never had to face a situation that extreme.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If those with a connection don't want it up there, that's good enough for me.

Good enough? In what context?

If Eduardo finds the Martin Taylor assault on him distressing, can he request it is removed from the internet? Nothing can be removed from the internet. And in this case, I don't see why it should. If anything, I think it should be shown more often for the benefit of idiots who don't understand how serious a fire can be. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate how upsetting it must be for the families, obviously it is but that's not justification for removing it from history.

Dec 29, 2011
Why would you want to ban it? I've never seen that footage before but now I can truly appreciate the magnitude of what happened that day. What winds me up is the Bradford City fans chanting while there are people dying, and at the end having a go at the away fans.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

If Eduardo finds the Martin Taylor assault on him distressing, can he request it is removed from the internet? Nothing can be removed from the internet. And in this case, I don't see why it should. If anything, I think it should be shown more often for the benefit of idiots who don't understand how serious a fire can be. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate how upsetting it must be for the families, obviously it is but that's not justification for removing it from history.

To be fair you are the one who has mentioned banning the footage, I am sure its always been available to view if thats what you want. A lot of events and footage of terrible things are edited. Its a balance of if society just shows anything and everything or if some level of respect and decorum are practiced, especially in the digital age.

Like the Leverson debate I presume and you would be for putting everything online.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
To be fair you are the one who has mentioned banning the footage, I am sure its always been available to view if thats what you want. A lot of events and footage of terrible things are edited. Its a balance of if society just shows anything and everything or if some level of respect and decorum are practiced, especially in the digital age.

Like the Leverson debate I presume and you would be for putting everything online.

I was responding to this;

I'm all for being open and honest. If you have nothing to hide, then don't. You don't need to. It's a fire. It was an accident. Why hide it? Why even attempt to get it taken down from YouTube? I have seen it on "When good times go bad" funnily enough, and I deffinitely thought it was inappropriate the way they used the footage and the commentary they put over the top of it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

I'm not saying my view is enforceable, but that it is just my view in this individual case - i think the upset probably outweighs any possible benefit here.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Nobody forces families of the dead to search for the video on YouTube, trying to get it banned seems pretty pathetic.

It happend, if people can watch the video it will help to push home the dangers of fire and need for safety measures.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here