Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atmosphere at Selhurst Park

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wonderful stuff from the Palace fans, I thought and really added to the occasion.

Can we match it on Monday?

Jimmy Grimble

You mean they kept banging a drum?

In seriousness they were decent - helped by the away fans being loud, but I've heard better at the Amex several times.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can you sing without your drum? Looks like the answer's no. That was probably the least hostile that the Palace fans have been in my experience. It seemed to lack the venom of previous outings. I thought both sets of fans could have been noisier but I guess nerves played a part. Apparently we were a disgrace, didn't sing at all, couldn't hear us....blah, blah, blah. Ah well, who gives a toss?

The policing inside seemed good-natured and they weren't in people's faces all the time. There were far too many though but lots of places around the ground towards the station where if it had kicked off, the police wouldn't have been around.

Their fans didn't seem to have a wide repertoire but the distance between us didn't help and the fact that the fans to the left of us and behind the goal to the right didn't join in for a lot of the time. And of course at a distance that drum is just an irritation. They don't need it. I guess it's all part of this Ultras scollobs they are so keen to emulate. Talking of which where were the Ultras? Most of the people in their usual spot had colours on. Last time we played a large part of the stand was a sea of black. No banner, didn't see an eagle, crap attempts at homophobic abuse that even the most sensitive of uber-fans wouldn't take offence at.

We scooted around the ground after the game to avoid the kettling and the Palace fans seem subdued. I'm impressed with how many youngsters they have supporting them considering the other clubs they could support and are on their doorstep.

I was happy overall with things considering the bag of nerves I was before the game. I also broke the word record for how long someone could flick a V at the Palace fans. I'd say I gave it a good 10 minutes before my arm got tired.

The hangover's kicking in now. Ouch.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To be honest, currently watching on TV and they are singing a lot, but at the game, rarely heard them in comparison to us......

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I was right next to the tunnel sitting next to what can only be described as a pikey lowlife straight from his caravan with I presume his wife and kids (although looked scarily liked it could be his sister), I thought the palace fans were pretty loud but did only sing 3 songs at most. I thought the Brighton lot were in good voice and could hear them easily down the other end but overall it was subdued, only half time and all that!

Apparently the banner that the "HF" did was confiscated! :lolol:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Yes it was a good atmosphere but still remember that their highest crowd is still lower than our lowest, Monday will be electric.

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London
I thought they did very well, to be fair to them. It's not often you see all four sides of a ground rocking like that. Yes it's a monotonous drone with an annoying drum, but it's still a good effort and much better than most other away grounds I've been to. Both sides really do need a bigger repertoire of songs though, our singing was loud but we just had the same three songs on loop all night.

I hope the Amex can match it on Monday, we need a cauldron of noise. It doesn't matter what we sing it shout, it just needs to be as loud and as intimidating as possible. Get the first goal and we're nearly there.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I was in the AW stand right near the Homesdale end. It was a good atmosphere, loved joining in with the Glad Ulloa song.

Thought they have a decent variation of songs and the vast majority joined in - pretty non stop from start to finish but interspersed with one guy constantly contribiting with random shouts of c#nt w#nker and the like. A massive chav element, very imposing in the horrendous concourse area. Every one of them seemed to have dragged themselves out of some rotten estate for the occassion.

Last night i was impressed with the atmosphere and didn't hear our support until the very end as the home support drowned it out from where i was. That said, doubt it is like that at every match and the fixture at the amex against them was pretty good i thought. Need to improve it this time round.

Herd a bunch of chav tramps in an horrendous environment and they will make more noise than a broader mix of society within a fantastic environment. Their stewards were non existant, people smoking fags and weed in the stands, no one sat down, people standing in the aisles, drinking in view of the pitch etc and you could pretty much do as you want. All means a better more raucous atmosphere.

Was a little worrying for me as if i'd been rumbled (if they'd scored) there was no change of being dragged out by stewards or police. Good result for me!

D

Deleted member 2719

They sounded quite good on telly we seemed non existent, except 5 mins in and 5 mins at the end.

What happened? Did we drink too much?

D

Deleted member 2719

I agree. I wonder if mikes were turned off during the match. I can't believe we were quiet.

The sky commentary seemed heavily biased towards palace to the point i nearly switched the sound down. Do you know who was commentating?

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
We were NOT quiet, we were singing non stop at the top of our lungs. Unfortunately they had 10 times more than us doing likewise. I'm sure the Amex will be rocking on Monday but have to confess I doubt we'll be as incessant as they were last night.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
From where I was watching - there was no sound. I am surprised you say that it was a great atmosphere. Most of the shots of the home fans were of them sitting on their hands looking a bit glum.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
We were NOT quiet, we were singing non stop at the top of our lungs. Unfortunately they had 10 times more than us doing likewise. I'm sure the Amex will be rocking on Monday but have to confess I doubt we'll be as incessant as they were last night.

We made a good din considering only 2,000 but in the past numbers like 5,500 does help. Nice to see many old 'faces' still up for it

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Our support sounded good on the telly - heard them loads of times, even though we were massively outnumbered. Liz Costa won't be happy re Palace songs about boyfriends and bottoms!

Nice of them to welcome the teams onto the pitch with Glad Ulloa!

Commentary was very biased, going on about Brighton's desperate defending etc. I thought we looked solid and very composed. Only time they threatened was when Zahahahahaha swapped wings. Not having seen a whole game since Arsenal, I thought we looked a much improved side, good passing and solid defending, even though that was not one of our better performances. Palace, in contrast, looked poor compared to how they were earlier in the season - agent Wurzel has done a fine job there!

Lots to be hopeful about - bring on Monday!

Black Dalek

Jan 19, 2004
The most peaceful time I've had @ Selhurst. Got off the train @ Norwood Jct. coming down from Ldn Bridge, group of us lot, group of them, I thought ere we go, banter loud & proud. No police on the St. platform (all outside) the next thing I know we're shaking hands and talking. Wonders never cease.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here