Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fast forward 1 year...

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
We are in Wigan's EXACT position. Is the FA Cup more important or is Premier League survival the be all and end all?

Personally I would take the FA Cup and relegation but I think Wigan are thinking the exact opposite.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
I think it would be insane to choose FA cup over premier league survival! Dropping from the prem to championship has huge financial implications which can ruin clubs so would be very silly indeed to take FA cup over Prem I reckon but then obviously the glory and history associated with FA cup would be brilliant.

D

Deleted member 18477

FA Cup. It's a trophy. That's what football was invented for. To win things. Although I wouldn't want us to splash millions on players like Pompey did...

And if you spend the parachute payments wisely you'd expect to be challenging for promotion again. I fully expect Wigan (if they go down), QPR and Reading to be pushing for automatic promotion.

If you mess it up like wolves and Blackburn by pissing around with managers then it's your own fault. Both with the right managers should have at least been in the playoffs.

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
Martinez said he doesn't even mind going down didn't he? If they go down, they go down, if they happen to stay up, they stay up is his attitude.

I hope if we do end up going up next year that we won't be battling for survival all season as that would just be annoying, as a fan.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
FA Cup. It's a trophy. That's what football was invented for. To win things. Although I wouldn't want us to splash millions on players like Pompey did...

And if you spend the parachute payments wisely you'd expect to be challenging for promotion again. I fully expect Wigan (if they go down), QPR and Reading to be pushing for automatic promotion.

If you mess it up like wolves and Blackburn by pissing around with managers then it's your own fault. Both with the right managers should have at least been in the playoffs.

You fully expect Wigan to push for promotion if they go down!!! Do me a favour mate, they will never bounce back.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Martinez said he doesn't even mind going down didn't he? If they go down, they go down, if they happen to stay up, they stay up is his attitude.

I hope if we do end up going up next year that we won't be battling for survival all season as that would just be annoying, as a fan.

What do you expect then, top 8!?!?!? Wake up!!!!!!!!

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Rewind 30 years. I think back then the answer was different to today. If it was us I'd take the FA Cup.

For Wigan I think they need the PL more (although its not much of an existence is it?)

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm comfortable with the possibility of our doing a West Brom, and bouncing between the two divisions for a while until establishing ourselves in the Premier League. Don't spend silly money and endanger the future. Just steady, incremental gains over a few seasons. Plus, there are worse things than being in the Championship, which has been damned entertaining the last two seasons.

Therefore, I'd like a nice silver pot and a place in the history books.

D

Deleted member 18477

You fully expect Wigan to push for promotion if they go down!!! Do me a favour mate, they will never bounce back.

For sure. Their players aren't on huge wages so they'll keep a lot of them. They have a good chairman. Currently an excellent manager. They will also have a bigger budget than most of the sides in the championship.

The problems begin when a shite manager is appointed... Who then signs shite players... Or as Blackburn and wolves have found out... Who kept sackin their managers.

Right now Wigan are in a strong position to return. That's all I can base the argument on. If Martinez leaves and then a lot of players follow him it's anyone's guess. But the chairman is no mug... So even then I still think they'll have a better chance than the majority of championship teams.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
All if u saying its an easy choice for prem survival, have u considered:

We would win the FA cup for the first time in our history. The team would be remembered as legends forever.

We would play in Europe - how fantastic would that be? Brighton vs a top European side at the Amex? Trips to Spain and Italy?

Those making comparisons to Portsmouth, I cannot see us spending OTT like they did so the parachute payments would make us even more of a force in the championship of we were to go down.

I feel it's a close call between the 2. I guess the question would be: Would Brighton rest players in the final, almost giving it away, in preparation for the battle in the final games of the season? I would go all out to win the final, with the rewards and glory that would bring, and then hope the squad had enough to keep us up.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
No brainier Prem survival comes first every time !

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I for one though will be cheering on the Latics today !!!
I like Roberto Martinez great manager and Wigan fans are some of the best I've ever met alongside Liverpool and Everton !

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I'm comfortable with the possibility of our doing a West Brom, and bouncing between the two divisions for a while until establishing ourselves in the Premier League. Don't spend silly money and endanger the future. Just steady, incremental gains over a few seasons. Plus, there are worse things than being in the Championship, which has been damned entertaining the last two seasons.

Therefore, I'd like a nice silver pot and a place in the history books.

Exactly my thoughts!

Very different situation now to 1983

Back then the FA Cup was THE major football trophy, probably even bigger than the European Cup in terms of world coverage. The old first division wasn't the goldmine it now was.

Back then given the choice of relegation or cup glory it would have been a no brainer. FA Cup every time.

Now it would be the other way round. The Premier League is far more important, especially since the blazers started buggering around with the FA Cup. Playing semi finals at wembley, 5:15 kick offs, so many ways the competition is now a shadow of what it was. I may not even watch it this afternoon - in fact I didn´t realise it was today until I saw it mentioned on the box last nights.

Back in 1983 the build up was massive, at least a week before the game, from the crack of sparrow fart on the day, and for a few days afterwards. For us to have been part of that was unbelievable.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Very different situation now to 1983

Back then the FA Cup was THE major football trophy, probably even bigger than the European Cup in terms of world coverage. The old first division wasn't the goldmine it now was.

Back then given the choice of relegation or cup glory it would have been a no brainer. FA Cup every time.

Now it would be the other way round. The Premier League is far more important, especially since the blazers started buggering around with the FA Cup. Playing semi finals at wembley, 5:15 kick offs, so many ways the competition is now a shadow of what it was. I may not even watch it this afternoon - in fact I didn´t realise it was today until I saw it mentioned on the box last nights.

Back in 1983 the build up was massive, at least a week before the game, from the crack of sparrow fart on the day, and for a few days afterwards. For us to have been part of that was unbelievable.

Good post. The FA Cup may not be AS big as it was, however it will still be silverware for us and a place in Europe. Surely that means more than finishing 17th? Relegation would most likely mean a successful entertaining season in the Championship the season after and we'd have another shot at surviving...

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
We are in Wigan's EXACT position. Is the FA Cup more important or is Premier League survival the be all and end all?

Personally I would take the FA Cup and relegation but I think Wigan are thinking the exact opposite.

That's a good idea!! Lets drop down a division, loose lots of money, probably lots of players but at least will have a nice shiny trophy to show for it!

What are you, some sort of clown??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here